Why become a member? ×

Is Rickenbacker a dirty word..........?

Chewie

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

But you could argue that on much of what comes out of the USofA there has been a similar escalation on RRPs coming into the UK - look at the recent prices on Fender and Musicman basses?

Weellllllllll...... before a certain vote it was about two dollars to the pound, now it’s something stupid like 1.30. Bound to have a big effect on anything we import from over the pond sadly.

20 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Nonsense. There's a thread discussing Rickenbacker at https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/327793-is-rickenbacker-a-dirty-word/

It was only a matter of time before this discussion disappeared up its own orifice.  Heeheehee

I've always liked the look of a Rickenbacker.  They've got an instantly recognisable visual impact.  You could say the same thing about Fenders until you realise that you are probably including numerous other branded clones.  Squier is an exception since it is licenced to be a clone.

I've never tried a Ricky.  Instead I read about them and the baggage is enough to put me off.  Technically, they have some interesting ideas like the ability to bi-amp and the twin truss rod thing.  In practice though, I'd have to be in a rick-bass based tribute band that was earning well enough to be able to afford a good one.

My first decent bass was an Arbiter ric copy ( purchased new in 1975, on finance, at £5.00 per week) prior to that I had gigged with a £29.00 Audition P bass copy purchased from the mighty F W Woolworth and co.

I loved the shape and colour but couldn't even dream of owning a real one back then.

I am rubbish at model numbers but I think it was a 4001 copy...it was stereo ,with a Y shaped lead supplied...I used to send one signal to my Laney 100 Klip amp clean side and the other to the distorted "Klip" side ..oh what fun!

Red Sunburst type paint job ...I loved it but ...a certain lady came along, my band split up and someone offered me £125.  for it ...I think I paid £165.00 a year and a half earlier)

Oh  how I wish I could travel back in time.🙄

For the past 27 years I have used a MIJ  P Bass bought new, but I always drool over a Ric.

5 hours ago, martthebass said:

I think that Ric had some QC issues (anyone remember the paint finish problems of 2010?) and they were not the best at dealing with these issues if you weren't based in the US but I think they are past that now.  If you got a good one though - happy days, my 2010 4003 is well built and plays well, certainly in the same quality bracket as my MM basses. 

I'm with you regarding the 'one-trick pony' bit, anyone who says that hasn't spent any time with one, it's no more a one trick pony than a Jazz.

I'm also with you on the thief magnet bit - it's the only bass I've ever had in 30+ years that someone has tried to nick during a gig!

My first love was Thunderbirds, but I adored the Rickenbacker tone ever since I heard those early Sweet b-sides and some of my brothers Yes albums (and yes, I know Steve Priest, like Geddy Lee, also used Jazz basses).  That tone was there right out of the case, it is amazing that you can emulate your heroes tone fairly easily.  I got a close approximation out of the Thunderbirds, but not spot on, I did consider buying some Rickenbacker pickups and dropping them into a Thunderbird, but life is too short.

My only real groan about the 4003 was the taperless neck profile; pretty much the same for it's full length.  A bit strange, but not an insurmountable problem.

Edited by NancyJohnson

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I have a weird prejudice against Rickies, basses and guitars . Viz the basses it's partly their appearance but more to do with the fact they're rubbish for playing funk on. Then many of my least fave bass players are often Ricky players. As for the guitars it's largely to due with their association with godawful jingly jangly Byrds influenced bands wot I detest.

I've played funk on mine. In fact I've played pretty much everything on mine. They don't have to do "that" sound. Having said that I love "that" sound (although there are actually many variations on it; Squire doesn't sound like Foxton, who doesn't sound like Lemmy, who doesn't sound like Glover etc). Most of my favourite bass players are Ric players, or have been in the period where I most liked their sound. I also love how they look and feel (although some years more than others).

I've never really understood why people get so worked up about instrument (a) or instrument (b), as if the instrument has somehow offended them by existing. They're tools, and if the tool works for you, great, if it doesn't, find another.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I did consider buying some Rickenbacker pickups and dropping them into a Thunderbird, but life is too short.

My only real groan about the 4003 was the taperless neck profile; pretty much the same for it's full length.  A bit strange, but not an insurmountable problem.

I've often considered doing the opposite, a la Lemmy.

The taper-less neck profile is the thing I love most. I love it on most Alembics too. Never understood why you'd want it to taper, but I also prefer very narrow string spacing.

3 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I've often considered doing the opposite, a la Lemmy.

The taper-less neck profile is the thing I love most. I love it on most Alembics too. Never understood why you'd want it to taper, but I also prefer very narrow string spacing.

I also like the taperless neck profile, not so keen on the thickness at the nut though on the 4003 but you get used to it

1 hour ago, Norris said:

Want me to bring mine to the next Midlands bash? :)

The Norrisbacker?  Yes, why not?

27 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I've never really understood why people get so worked up about instrument (a) or instrument (b), as if the instrument has somehow offended them by existing. They're tools, and if the tool works for you, great, if it doesn't, find another.

This is how I feel.  Good words to live by generally too.  Then again, I have been called a tool on occasion.

They're, erm, ergonomically challenging and certainly Marmite...I had a new 4001 in 1979-80, my first 'really good' bass. Played it for several years, and moved on. I love the look of them, so for my 50th I paid full RRP for a brand new Walnut 4003. It went back the next day. A £500 bass with a £2000 image...

If they weren't so much money secondhand (£1300-1400 for a used £2000 bass is a lot of money for me) I'd possibly try another, but it's a lot of money for Pot Luck to be a factor, and there's more than one thing that can go wrong with older ones...

Interestingly, a lot of the 'iconic' players (with the notable exception of Mr Squire) either moved on fairly quickly, or didn't use them in the studio for the 'iconic' sound...I'm thinking Messrs Lee and Foxton here...

My first serious bass (after an Encore Coaster to get me started) - £800 for a 1975 4001, mapleglo with black trim - gorgeous - back in about 88/89 I think.  Spent the next few years replacing all the bits that the previous owner had changed to be non-Rickenbacker (mainly bridge/tailpiece and pickups), and it's needed a couple of re-wirings, but it still looks great, and sounds exactly as it should,  Plus a fantastic slim, fast neck.  Back in the day Rickenbacker had a UK office who were brilliantly helpful, and couldn't be further from the reputation they have now.

Was my main (sometimes only) bass for most of my 20's, but barely used since I discovered five strings and there was no going back.  I have kept a lazy eye on one of the rare as hens teeth 4003 five strings coming up for sale, but they go quickly and expensively so had resigned myself to never getting one...until... 

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2018/02/04/rickenbacker-unveils-the-2018-4003s-5-5-string-bass/

Much to complain about - 4003so no shark fins or binding, and the pickups looks, ahem, interesting, plus no tailpiece so the looks are all over the place...but it's close to what I'd like and I'd love to give one a go and see what it plays/sounds like.

• Like 1

I love mine. I am not a Ric fanboy though. I will not go through my personal experiences with John Hall as this topic is about the basses. I luckily bought mine before the prices went totally insane. I wouldn't buy one at the £2300+ price that my nearest dealer is asking. That is getting really crazy. The pound sinking has maybe had a lot to do with it, but Ric have also had their own price hikes. They are out of the reach of most people.

I like the sound of them, the necks vary on them and only one has a tree-trunk neck, so it doesn't get used much. The Walnut is my go to of these at present. The features that are different from the other Rics (Maple fretboard / neck) really make it a top bass for me. I don't use the vintage tone pull-pot on it, it just takes the bass end out of it.

Some will not like the hard edge with the binding or the bridge pickup cover. You get used to them.

36869_138052459542469_2190788_n.jpg?_nc_

37779874_2162894463724915_31340470203947

I've had copies and none of them sound like a Ric.

5 hours ago, Muzz said:

They're, erm, ergonomically challenging and certainly Marmite...I had a new 4001 in 1979-80, my first 'really good' bass. Played it for several years, and moved on. I love the look of them, so for my 50th I paid full RRP for a brand new Walnut 4003. It went back the next day. A £500 bass with a £2000 image...

If they weren't so much money secondhand (£1300-1400 for a used £2000 bass is a lot of money for me) I'd possibly try another, but it's a lot of money for Pot Luck to be a factor, and there's more than one thing that can go wrong with older ones...

Interestingly, a lot of the 'iconic' players (with the notable exception of Mr Squire) either moved on fairly quickly, or didn't use them in the studio for the 'iconic' sound...I'm thinking Messrs Lee and Foxton here...

Not this again. I think you’ll find that both those players most definitely recorded with Rics, Geddy on a good many of their albums. You need to stop listening to (and spreading) the misinformation.

Many Ric players did move on, but IMO none of them ever sounded as good afterwards. YMMV.

FWIW, and as I’ve said many times before, I still have my 2 x ‘72 4001s after all the Wals, Alembics, Warwicks, Seis, Jaydees, Fenders, Pedullas etc etc (and to be fair a good many other Rics) have gone. They will never, ever be sold, unless to save a life, or maybe if I can no longer play. 

Edited by 4000

Not this again? Geddy's on record as having used his Jazz as well as his Ric to record with (on plenty of songs considered to be iconic to the Ric sound), and he's dropped the Ric completely...pushing forty years ago. Similar situation with Foxton and his Precision. I should have written 'didn't use them exclusively' with the studio recordings in my post above, so apologies for that, but the fact remains, however inconvenient.

I've never played a '72, they may well have something the ones I have played (and owned) didn't have...and I've moved on basses by Alembic, Warwick, Status, Sei, and all the more usual suspects like Fender, Gibson and MM, and settled with what I like and won't sell. It's a nice place to be, and I'm glad your Rics are that for you.

That brand new one I bought was still nowhere near good enough build and finish-wise for a £1600 bass. For the record, I was gutted.

• Like 3

I Must be alone in liking Ric's aesthetically  rather than for their "sound".

I put plastic strings on my faker and loved the deep smooth sound  that emanated. 

I don't really like the Clankey sound that so many people seem to crave.😨

What's happened to the "hiding because I am fearful of the response emoji that we used to have?

Jim Smith of Cardiacs plays one. 'Nuff said.

The model that I always wanted was the elusive 4002. The prototype looked conventional with the (gasp) modern electronics well disguised. The production version was fugly. Anyone might have thought that Mr. Hall wanted to throttle the 4002 at birth.

The model that I actually own is a 1977 4001. Like a Fender Jaguar, the 4001 has many imperfections. I am willing to forgive them because - so far - there is no other way to get the sound. A maple neck Fender Jazz Bass is next best thing.

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

Not this again? Geddy's on record as having used his Jazz as well as his Ric to record with (on plenty of songs considered to be iconic to the Ric sound), and he's dropped the Ric completely...pushing forty years ago. Similar situation with Foxton and his Precision. I should have written 'didn't use them exclusively' with the studio recordings in my post above, so apologies for that, but the fact remains, however inconvenient.

I've never played a '72, they may well have something the ones I have played (and owned) didn't have...and I've moved on basses by Alembic, Warwick, Status, Sei, and all the more usual suspects like Fender, Gibson and MM, and settled with what I like and won't sell. It's a nice place to be, and I'm glad your Rics are that for you.

That brand new one I bought was still nowhere near good enough build and finish-wise for a £1600 bass. For the record, I was gutted.

Of course Geddy has used his Jazz for many years (although it may or may not have escaped your attention that he has been using the odd Ric live again on occasion). However he used his Rics almost exclusively (bar his ultimately butchered P teardrop thingy) for the whole of the 70s and most of their best (IMO) albums. Moving Pictures also has some Ric. Signals is Ric. So to imply that he didn’t use them for recording is simply wrong, and that’s what I objected to. It’s an argument that is often bandied about regarding Geddy and other famous Ric users, and I find it really annoying, in the same way I would if people kept insisting JJB or Jaco actually used a Ric. FWIW I actually think Geddy’s Ric and Jazz sound are, for the most part - Moving Pictures being arguably the most contentious - somewhat different. In fact live I don’t think they’re that alike at all. My favourite Geddy sound is probably A Farewell to Kings, which doesn’t really sound anything like his Jazz.  

Foxton did indeed use a P, amongst others (no idea if he recorded with the Ibby), but his P sound was nothing like his Ric sound. I never liked his P sound to be honest, and I do like a good P, be it John Deacon or JJB.

It is indeed a nice place to be, and I’m glad that you’re lucky enough to feel the same. The ‘72s are different than the later ones but it’s horses for courses. A friend who bought my old ‘76 prefers that to my main bass, whereas I don’t think it’s even in the ballpark. FWIW my least favourite Rics, on average, are probably those built between around ‘75 and the late ‘90s. On average I’m not that keen on those.

Build quality wise my old 4004 was on a par with pretty much anything I’ve ever owned, bar my custom Alembic. It was far better built than either of my Wals. 

One thing I should add is that because an artist changes instruments doesn’t mean that the new one is better, it just means that it’s better in terms of what they’re looking for. Roger Glover is on record as saying he never really cared for his Machinehead Ric sound, but I (and many others) think it’s one of the greatest bass sounds ever recorded. Whereas anything he’s used since leaves me pretty cold, and I think the Vigiers just sound bland.

Edited by 4000

43 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

I put plastic strings on my faker and loved the deep smooth sound  that emanated. 

What's happened to the "hiding because I am fearful of the response emoji that we used to have?

They’re actually generally very good at the deep smooth thing. Although personally I just turn the tones down/off, then I have the best of both worlds. 

I love my Ric. I'm actually in the process of using it on a new recording project I am doing at the moment & it's the first time I have recorded on just one bass for a whole album. I bought secondhand as I didn't fancy the full on expense but I've really bonded with this one. The expensive bit is the furry security guard I have to employ because of all the haters!

IMG_3096.thumb.JPG.cb52992c173210d276aed8ed50e9aef7.JPG

• Like 3

It’s very simple for me. 

I would absolutely love one, more than any other bass guitar. I’ll never own one though, because I refuse to pay the money they sell for. 

I used to own a 360, and as lovely as the paint finish was, the fit and finish of the scratchplate and some of the hardware was disappointingly poor. It was a nightmare to tune. It was, in my opinion, a £800 guitar with a £1700 price tag (then). From experience I see no reason why a 4003 wouldn’t be the same? If RIC made a far eastern ‘Squier / Epiphone’ version I’d be first in the queue, but I’m not prepared to spend two and a half grand on an American one.

9 hours ago, Raymondo said:

I must admit that I love their aesthetics. I never thought that my old 4003 gave that "classic" Ric sound (it was a pre-Vintage Circuit model), but it still sounded superb to my ears. More "plummy" than any Fender or Fender derived bass I've played over the years (though that may or may not have been down to slightly changing how I played).

Would I have another? In a shot. But they're still overpriced outside the US, and the second hand market is buoyant, new instrument discounts are very rare (I did hear that Rossetti used to "police" the retailers, and threatened to remove the Ric franchise if the retailer was "caught" discounting a Ric instrument - whether that's Urban Myth or what I don't know, but there would appear to be very few Ric's on discount anywhere outside the US).

Guess I'll just have to be happy with my Faker's for now.

Edited by Skybone

14 hours ago, 4000 said:

FWIW I actually think Geddy’s Ric and Jazz sound are, for the most part - Moving Pictures being arguably the most contentious - somewhat different. In fact live I don’t think they’re that alike at all. My favourite Geddy sound is probably A Farewell to Kings, which doesn’t really sound anything like his Jazz.  

Agreed. If you listen to Signals, which is about 50/50 Rick and Jazz, the tones are clearly very different.

The confusion between the two seems to stem from Moving Pictures, on which both basses are treated with a fair bit of distortion, so telling them apart is tricker.

Also, on Moving Pictures, Geddy played the Jazz on the neck pickup so it sounds less like the scooped Jazz sound we're used to hearing from him.