Why become a member? ×

Is Rickenbacker a dirty word..........?

Chewie

On 25/07/2018 at 10:57, T-Bay said:

Weellllllllll...... before a certain vote it was about two dollars to the pound, now it’s something stupid like 1.30. Bound to have a big effect on anything we import from over the pond sadly.

Two dollars to the pound was way back in 2007, been nowhere near that since then.

I regret not buying a brand new MM Stingray when I was in Florida at that time, Sam Ash in Sarasota were doing them for $1200, £600 an absolute bargain.

15 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I love my Ric. I'm actually in the process of using it on a new recording project I am doing at the moment & it's the first time I have recorded on just one bass for a whole album. I bought secondhand as I didn't fancy the full on expense but I've really bonded with this one. The expensive bit is the furry security guard I have to employ because of all the haters!

IMG_3096.thumb.JPG.cb52992c173210d276aed8ed50e9aef7.JPG

He/she will frighten off most I reckon, a very angry looking cat you have there Tim.

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

He/she will frighten off most I reckon, a very angry looking cat you have there Tim.

Sneaky Pete is something of a pussycat really (er, um!?!) but he won't hear a bad word said about my Rickenbacker and as he lost an eye in a fight once, I'd advice everybody to pick any battles carefully! :P 

On 26/07/2018 at 12:18, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Agreed. If you listen to Signals, which is about 50/50 Rick and Jazz, the tones are clearly very different.

The confusion between the two seems to stem from Moving Pictures, on which both basses are treated with a fair bit of distortion, so telling them apart is tricker.

Also, on Moving Pictures, Geddy played the Jazz on the neck pickup so it sounds less like the scooped Jazz sound we're used to hearing from him.

I really don't like Geddy's current tone preference. Much preferred his bass tone on the earlier albums

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

So they're now actively going after people selling 2nd hand ones not just fakes? That's a different level of mental.

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

I rather doubt it! I suspect that also applies to fakes only.

Just to be clear... The legal threats only concerned fake Rics, new or second-hand, but it was made clear that pursuit would follow even if the posted ad was of a supposedly genuine Ric that turned out to be bogus, a fake Ric that we (the site...) wouldn't be able to distinguish. 'Good faith' was not, apparently, a protection, so the decision was taken to not take the risk, and forbid any and all Rics. That way, there's no question of its authenticity being questioned, and zero risk of breaking the law. New or second-hand made no difference; any ad for a fake Ric would lead to a legal action.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Just to be clear... The legal threats only concerned fake Rics, new or second-hand, but it was made clear that pursuit would follow even if the posted ad was of a supposedly genuine Ric that turned out to be bogus, a fake Ric that we (the site...) wouldn't be able to distinguish. 'Good faith' was not, apparently, a protection, so the decision was taken to not take the risk, and forbid any and all Rics. That way, there's no question of its authenticity being questioned, and zero risk of breaking the law. New or second-hand made no difference; any ad for a fake Ric would lead to a legal action.

Yeah, I appreciate that fact. Your post was worded in a way that suggested genuine ric adverts on gumtree were getting pulled, hence my comment.

Clearly Mr Hall is a tool and I'd imagine that were it someone else running the company, maybe a bit more "live and let live" might ensue. Most of the negativity associated with the brand appears to be interchangeable with him personally.

I can see them going the same way as Gibson as the parallels are kind of obvious. Not as many people play them these days? Insane price hikes? Idiot CEO? All are ticked.

Certainly, I'm a bit out of the loop of counter culture with the sort of music I do, but I am thinking they're well down the pecking order of current mainstream bands using them. I'm sure others with more knowledge will correct me! 

23 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Yeah, I appreciate that fact. Your post was worded in a way that suggested genuine ric adverts on gumtree were getting pulled, hence my comment.

Clearly Mr Hall is a tool and I'd imagine that were it someone else running the company, maybe a bit more "live and let live" might ensue. Most of the negativity associated with the brand appears to be interchangeable with him personally.

I can see them going the same way as Gibson as the parallels are kind of obvious. Not as many people play them these days? Insane price hikes? Idiot CEO? All are ticked.

Certainly, I'm a bit out of the loop of counter culture with the sort of music I do, but I am thinking they're well down the pecking order of current mainstream bands using them. I'm sure others with more knowledge will correct me! 

There is a counterpoint to this.  In order to protect their intellectual property, RIC have to demonstrate that they are pursuing all instances where 'fakes' are being transacted, if not then they lose their intellectual property claim.  JH (albeit an derrière in many respects) is taking this to the letter.  We might not like his methods or personality or whatever but that is the route he is advised on to protect his business interests.

• Like 1

So why werent they so pro active back in the 70s when the Fakers began to appear..if they had been  there wouldnt be the number of fakes there are in circulation.. we have similar situation with some products at work that have been copied but because we didnt clamp down on it straight from the offset we dont have a leg to stand on years down the line.

11 minutes ago, keeponehandloose said:

So why werent they so pro active back in the 70s when the Fakers began to appear..if they had been  there wouldnt be the number of fakes there are in circulation.. we have similar situation with some products at work that have been copied but because we didnt clamp down on it straight from the offset we dont have a leg to stand on years down the line.

I guess JH wasn’t CEO then. Apparently he still has a leg to stand on so he continues and gets most fakers stopped (outside of China - nobody can control them!).

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

I guess JH wasn’t CEO then. Apparently he still has a leg to stand on so he continues and gets most fakers stopped (outside of China - nobody can control them!).

But thats my point. Who ever was in charge back then didnt do a good job of stopping them , so it is harder to bring a case of intellectual property etc in later years because it can be said you didnt guard against it at the start- therefore you cant be that bothered about it.

Have they actually taken anyone to court?

38 minutes ago, keeponehandloose said:

But thats my point. Who ever was in charge back then didnt do a good job of stopping them , so it is harder to bring a case of intellectual property etc in later years because it can be said you didnt guard against it at the start- therefore you cant be that bothered about it.

Have they actually taken anyone to court?

I have no idea I’m not his PA. 

However isn’t this argument moot, he can and needs to continue to protect his intellectual property so he does?

On 24/07/2018 at 22:46, Dad3353 said:

There's no problem with discussion about Rickies, but they are not permitted to be offered for sale in the Marketplace, as this site has been threatened with potentially damaging legal action if any ads are of fakes. As it's impossible to know if any bass offered is pukka or not, no Rickies at all are allowed. The owners of the make are to be thanked for that. That said, discussion, photos, praise or criticism; all that is fine, but no commerce of 'em (nor their copies, naturally...).

It is very easy to tell a faker from a genuine Ric (I have 4 real ones and 3 fakers currently and 3 others previously) - way easier than other brands.

However, some fakers also infringe Rickenbacker IP and the company is committed to protecting its brand by legal means.

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

They hadn't registered the designs as trademarks back then.

I sort of respect the fact that they still just run from that same factory and haven't offshored.

As for the Chickenbackers, they do have them seized when they can.