Why become a member? ×

Ever had that one bass that you can't find a good reason to sell?

Chris2112

Have you ever had a bass that you couldn't find a reason, or the energy to sell? I have found myself in this strange situation twice in recent months and I'm starting to feel as though I'll never find the energy or inclination to sell a bass ever again! 

Okay, that may be a bit much but in recent months, I've listed my Ibanez SR3006 for sale twice and had two bites. On both occasions, I'd only listed it for sale because I'd bought another bass and I felt like I should sell something to at least curb the excesses of my profligate tendencies, a desire that inevitably fades after the next paycheque arrives. 

I am faced with no good reason to sell and no good reason to keep. The SR is clearly at the bottom of my list of preferred instruments. My Cort Rithimic is my favourite. My Bogart has a totally different tone and a monstrous low B that encourages a different style of playing to the Rithimic. My Pentabuzz handles the fretless duties and the Ibanez comes in last. Being a six string gives it some utility over the other basses and I do get it out for the odd bit of UZEB stuff I don't do on the Bogart. 

I sometimes look at the relatively low valued Ibanez and think 'well, I can take this bass anywhere and not worry', but I never play any shiteholes, so...

The fact it's worth maybe £600 used is another factor that means it's likely to stay longer. I paid a little more than that for it from Bass Direct a few years ago, though I've no idea where it came from before it ended up there. I had always wanted an SR3006 after lusting over them in the Ibanez catalogue as a teenager shortly after the turn of the Millennium. As a 'prestige' Ibanez, made in Japan to an exacting standards, with top notch materials and Bartolini electronics, it's a great package. I look around guitar shops for what £600 will get you these days, and it's not very much at all. Does it make much sense to give a great instrument away for so little, even if it just comes out of the case a couple of times a month? I keep thinking back to the summer of 2015 when I bought it, having barely held a bass in three years, after a long time off playing. It was the instrument that instantly brought back my love for playing.

I just prefer the process of buying to selling, but I expect that the next time I buy a bass I'll go through the same cycle! I was in discussion to sell it a few days ago and was almost relieved when the deal was called off since it saves me the work of packaging it!

Has anyone else ever felt this way or am I uniquely lazy? 

ZVMGo5f.jpg

YUrUwa3.jpg

I have a couple, an Ibanez Talman and an old Aria, both see little use but aren’t worth enough to make the effort worth it. I bought the Talman new as a dabble with shortscale. It plays beautifully but I can’t see me ever gigging it, bit when I think of selling it I just wonder whether it’s worth it for the small sum I would get for it. The Aria is a classic back up bass that sits there most of the time ‘in case’ worth pennies and I shouldn’t even think of selling it but it does take up space.

Ive got 2 Squier CV basses that ill never use, but cant be bothered to sell them as they aren't worth a lot, and have been modded so not sure of their value. Both play really well so its not like i couldn't play them. I expect ill give them both (a P and a Jazz) to my son at some point.

I had a Squier JV P bass in a wardrobe for about 20 years. I got it new when they came out, and due to the low value that i paid never thought it was worth selling. I did eventually  trade it in at the Bass centre.

I know what you mean Chris2112 - I'm equally lazy...

I've got a Musicman US SUB that's a little, ahem, roadworn so has little value.  It's a great playing and sounding bass though so I'm happy for it to stay, even though I rarely gig it.  (And I can take it to rough dive bars and not worry about damage, although I also rarely place s**thole bars either these days. :) )

Also I have a MIK Warwick Streamer LX4 which is built using German parts and is in perfect nick. It's really too good to part with as it's worth so little for what it is.  It's a fantastic bass that punches well above it's value so it can stay put.  Selling and posting is just so much hassle. 😨

I might give it to my son eventually.

Frank.

Streamer LX models are usually pretty good, like the Streamer Jazzman and Pro M, seem to sell for pocket change in comparison what they sell for new. The deflated used Warwick market is insane, there was a Stuart Hamm Streamer on for sale here recently, going nowhere at £1800. That was what, £5000 new a few months ago? I love Warwick basses but they depreciate like milk. 

1992 MIA Fender Jazz Plus V. Top quality, rare, and unusually still has the original Kubicki electronics. I just don't get on with it, too heavy and with a slabby body shape (think Tele rather that Strat). If somebody walked up and offered me something near what I paid for it (£750) I'd hand it over like a shot. Just can't face the hassle and expense of advertising and shipping it. At the moment luckily neither space nor money is an urgent problem, but if they were, that would be the first to go. 

My Yamaha RBX775 fills the same role. I rarely play fretless, and it's not worth much. But if I sold it (for not a lot as it's heavily modded) then I'd probably go and buy another fretless to replace it.

So it lives under my bed costing me nothing - and I get it out every few months for 20 mins. If you like it, have no need of it's capital value and it isn't in your way, just leave stick it in a case or out the way, and occasionally give it some attention.

I remember when I first started playing, I had this absolute piece of :angry2: bass. I'm not being picky, it was genuinely awful. Unplayably high action, dud pickups etc and it used to drive me insane seeing clips of people smashing guitars or using them as wall decorations. (That's not pointed at you, obviously, because you do play it). Now, whenever this topic pops up, I get a flashback, gut feeling of sadness about something so well-made not getting to do what it was made to do.

Logically, I would say just bite the bullet and sell it. You probably won't miss it much, you can put the money from the sale towards something you like much more and the Ibby gets to live somewhere it'll be played every day.

However, I know that is SO much easier said than done. This past year or so, I've been making a conscious effort to rid myself of unnecessary possessions and it takes a lot of energy to commit to the sale and then the inevitable sellers remorse afterwards :D

But, for what it's worth, I can say that feeling passes very quickly. The things we miss the most are the things that were habitual. If this thing isn't a part of your daily life, I don't think you'd miss it.

I've got a fairly high-end bass in my very modest collection that is absolutely perfect in every respect that I have just never taken to from day one. The bass is a USA-made Lakland Joe Osborn/ 44-60 with ChiSonic pickups. This bass, which I custom ordered from Lakland.  sounds great, plays great, looks beautiful etc. but I just have never particularly enjoyed it. I've not tried to sell it yet because, on paper at least it is so perfect, but I've had it long enough to know that I will never play it much. So, yes I can relate to your dilemma and being ambivalent about selling a perfectly good bass that you are lukewarm about.  

Edited by Misdee

On 27/07/2018 at 00:09, josie said:

1992 MIA Fender Jazz Plus V. Top quality, rare, and unusually still has the original Kubicki electronics. I just don't get on with it, too heavy and with a slabby body shape (think Tele rather that Strat). If somebody walked up and offered me something near what I paid for it (£750) I'd hand it over like a shot. Just can't face the hassle and expense of advertising and shipping it. At the moment luckily neither space nor money is an urgent problem, but if they were, that would be the first to go. 

Those are a rare beast with an excellent electronics package. I've never heard it in a Fender bass but I loved it in my Kubicki basses. Worth hanging onto, I reckon.

• Thanks 1

I know the feeling too as I still have at least five basses to sell, but I'm always finding good excuses for not doing it. For now it's these stupidly high temperatures as I like to take a lot of pictures for selling items. I'm too lazy to get outside, make some pictures and make the ads...

But I'll end up doing it and put the money onto our family account as I don't need any other basses than my Leduc's nor any other amp than my AER and I don't use nor like effects. The funny thing is that I know it for ages. 🙄

So yes I fully understand your feeling. 

There is some gear that has more value that what you'd get if it were sold. Sounds like there is a ton of this listed above. Don't listen to that crap about "it's only worth what somebody will pay".

I've sold gear before which I wasn't using, for stupidly low prices (those who took advantage of me know who you are) and have regretted it since. 

Keep the gear...

31 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I know the feeling too as I still have at least five basses to sell, but I'm always finding good excuses for not doing it. For now it's these stupidly high temperatures as I like to take a lot of pictures for selling items. I'm too lazy to get outside, make some pictures and make the ads...

But I'll end up doing it and put the money onto our family account as I don't need any other basses than my Leduc's nor any other amp than my AER and I don't use nor like effects. The funny thing is that I know it for ages. 🙄

So yes I fully understand your feeling. 

Did you sell a Leduc Logabass recently? I've always wanted one of those.

No, that's not me but another Chris. That said, the Logabass is not a Leduc, but only an instrument designed by him and made by Sanox. Funnily, for an unknown reason, these Sanox basses resell very well, when real Leduc's tend to be harder to sell. Look at my signature if you want to know which Leduc's I own for the moment, and, man I had a lot, something like 20 or 30... I'm some kind of second hand market price marker as Christophe, who now is a friend, is always telling. 

On 24/07/2018 at 17:04, Chris2112 said:

Okay, that may be a bit much but in recent months, I've listed my Ibanez SR3006 for sale twice and had two bites. 

By the way that is gorgeous. If I'd noticed it listed I'd have bitten your hand off rather than buying a Warwick Thumb 6 (currently en route to me from Germany). Which I'm sure will be superb, but pm me if you do really need to find a new home for the Ibby 🙂 

I started playing bass 20 years ago.... 2 years later I had a custom 5-string made with mahogany body wings, AAA grade quilted maple, ebony fingerboard, mother-of-pearl dots, Bartolini pups with 18v pre-amp, gold hardware.... it is absolutely mint as I played it a couple of times but decided I didn't like 5-strings. It cost me £2500 back in 2000... It's been played maybe 10 times in the last 18 years and it just sits in my room looking nice. I can't find a good reason to sell it.... maybe I will play 5-string one day....

• 4 weeks later...

The Ibanez has finally went, ending my procrastination. In the end, it came down to an offer being on the table and my acceptance that despite being a lovely instrument, it would always be the last to come out of it's case. 

I'm determined not to just plough the money coming back in into another bass, as tempting as that might be. If I was in a position where something as good as the Ibanez is the least likely to be played, it doesn't make much sense to buy another bass, at least for now. I might just put the cash towards a new computer but I have been thinking of buying a synth or electric piano for my daughter once I've got my music room sorted out. 

I wasn't sentimental about basses in the past, but given that this bass got me back into playing after a few years messing round with guitars, I hope it continues to give enjoyment in new hands. 

• Thanks 1

I have a Fernandes 5-string. When I got back into bass playing, it was to play with a jazz quartet.

So, jazz, then. Leader plays trumpet...which means playing in the flat keys, right?  Eb's and Db's. Need a 5-string for those low notes.
And a keyboards player too, yeah?  Well, I want to get down low out of his way. Need a 5-string for those low notes.

I looked on FleaBay, found this Fernandes at a ridiculously sensible price, plus the seller lived not too far away from me. Even if I didn't get on with it, I could resell it without it costing me too much. Seemed worth a punt.....and I won it.  Straight away, having that low-end made a huge difference to my sound within the band. It's a more-than-decent instrument, thought TBF it has seen better days.  It has a nice low rumble and once there were new strings on it, it had a fair amount of punch. Wasn't comfortable with slapping it, though that may have been (OK, was) cr@p technique on my part back then.  Whatever, it meant that I could justify having both basses on the go.

But whereas I liked the Fernandes, and still do, I LURVE my Bass Collection SB301 4-string...and so when I saw a BC active 5'er for a good price, I went for it. That has since become my main bass in the quartet, though I still use the 4 string regularly for a jazz workshop band in which I now play. So I can justify both, again.

And the Fernandes sits at home doing....not very much at all. A little while back, I posted a thread on here about the prospect of having it de-fretted, to make it more useful as an alternative to the others and thereby bring it back into the fold. Inevitably, the same inertia that @Chris2112 described has set in and I haven't done anything about it yet. In the meantime, @Stingray5 has loaned me a fretless Jazz for me to try out, to scratch that itch. Liking that a lot, so obviously that should have spurred me on with the de-fretting process.

It hasn't. Guess I know that I should sell it...but I'm not sure that I really want to do so. I tell myself that it's a good spare to have in the event of anything going wrong with either of the Bass Collection basses. It IS a pretty flimsy excuse, though. 

Fernandes V.png

Edited by mangotango
"New" strings, not "now". DOH!
  • Like 1

Out of everything I own, this is the one bass I could never let go.  I got it for an absolute steal (the guy didn't know what he was selling), it's very rare now (possibly 20 globally), it plays like a dream and is coveted here by a couple of people and a few people in the US.

Thing is I hardly play it at all; it's sitting in a rack about a metre from where I'm typing this.  It would sell for serious money, but I just think if I did sell it, there would just be this painful ache inside me that would just never stop hurting.

2 - Virgil.JPG

CA1B6FE8-83F7-4B3C-94A0-0488643B8A08.thumb.jpeg.650edfde6c1043031d9d9278c62a62f9.jpeg1CE67570-8974-4554-9747-2C4150807B4C.jpeg.066da8fdf426377bcf0cdd2f3f6b0af2.jpegDD5AC6E2-3405-4D11-9C75-A12D87416E19.jpeg.17cd46a2f65b98f3f386af67d29df91d.jpeg9EACDF53-5B37-4B26-817C-C5025C230F07.jpeg.da8b21d69a220dfde6c0ac9cb2fbb195.jpegC4894AAB-5628-4DB2-8B5F-FC59B01A78B4.jpeg.dc72c08c9692fd2ff32b97e554c1480a.jpeg

These two...

While working for a shop which acted as their uk distributor, I found the Farida basses to be really playable and great sounding basses (they make the classic vibe squier stuff amongst others)

I spoke to them about options for a Fretless.

They were really up for it and I sent a spec sheet and didn’t realise they would make two to try out - I specified a satin finish and then sent an email saying “finish might wear quickly” - they just made another one in gloss.

Anyhow, they arrived and the final costs came back at £749 ish, which was too much (think a USA standard jazz was about £899 at the time) 

Seymour Duncan classic stack pickups, ash body, ebony fingerboards...it was costly.

The only 2 in existence, but effectively not worth that much. I’d never sell them, and I’d never get anything I’d been involved in again. The fretted one has a neck from a white FJB-6 which had a lovely flame to the maple (there is a white Farida Fretless with Duncan 1/4lb pickups...somewhere)

Added into this is the fact I was gifted one for being top sales person over the Christmas of 2010, and the other one I was invoiced for the shipping from China which wasn’t much...nice story, and they’re insured for what it’d cost to replace them...

The Fretless sees little use but sounds great, the fretted one is an animal, more Marcus Miller than a Marcus Miller Jazz 😂

• Like 1