Why become a member? ×

Talk to me about the blues.....

T-Bay

One might reasonably contend that the modern incarnation of the blues is Rap, sometimes of the gangsta variety.

Performers who are perceived as a threat to polite society; rhythmic intensity; an avoidance of melodic development; lyrical preoccupations with women, 'bragging', substance abuse, a struggle against oppression and poverty; and a tendency to early and sometimes violent death among the prominent exponents of the form.

• Haha 1

On 26/07/2018 at 01:18, Count Bassy said:

Is that Pete Stroud?

I can confirm that I am! Always trying to get Buddy over to the U.K. I was hoping for end of this year but many venues book so so far ahead it’s kinda difficult to arrange a decent enough tour for Buddy. We were on the 2017 UK 36 date tour with John Mayall. Lots of new fans off that tour for Buddy so I agree that something more should occur now!

10 hours ago, mybass said:

I can confirm that I am! Always trying to get Buddy over to the U.K. I was hoping for end of this year but many venues book so so far ahead it’s kinda difficult to arrange a decent enough tour for Buddy. We were on the 2017 UK 36 date tour with John Mayall. Lots of new fans off that tour for Buddy so I agree that something more should occur now!

Hello Peter,

Saw you first playing with The Shortlist many many years ago, and then with Buddy not quite so many years ago at Wilbarston Village Hall (rather posh as village halls go).

Special Kudos for building your own basses!

• Thanks 1

Cheers to you Count Bassy! The days of The Shortlist, wow, many a year ago as the band backing for Roger Chapman.

i think Wilbarston Hall was about 6 years ago andI think that venue isn’t holding gigs anymore.

Edited by mybass

On 27/07/2018 at 00:57, skankdelvar said:

One might reasonably contend that the modern incarnation of the blues is Rap, sometimes of the gangsta variety.

Performers who are perceived as a threat to polite society; rhythmic intensity; an avoidance of melodic development; lyrical preoccupations with women, 'bragging', substance abuse, a struggle against oppression and poverty; and a tendency to early and sometimes violent death among the prominent exponents of the form.

I think I half agree, in that the modern incarnation of the blues is not the modern blues. I more than half agree in fact, cos I can’t think of a better contender than yours. There’s either no equivalent or that’s as good as anything. 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2018 at 20:51, Count Bassy said:

Hello Peter,

Saw you first playing with The Shortlist many many years ago, and then with Buddy not quite so many years ago at Wilbarston Village Hall (rather posh as village halls go).

Special Kudos for building your own basses!

On 27/07/2018 at 22:09, mybass said:

Cheers to you Count Bassy! The days of The Shortlist, wow, many a year ago as the band backing for Roger Chapman.

i think Wilbarston Hall was about 6 years ago andI think that venue isn’t holding gigs anymore.

Remember that one - that was the first time out wasn't it Pete? Had to post a couple of Celestions to Texas from the tiny little post office for Buddy!

8 minutes ago, markdavid said:

I like that type of blues too, not to hijack the thread but if anyone can recommend any artists that fit this , thanks

Been mentioned already, but SRV would be most peoples' choice in that category. Also been mentioned but KWS would be up there somewhere too.

On 02/08/2018 at 09:00, Teebs said:

Buddy Guy - not modern, but still going strong as far as I know. Saw him live at the Bridgewater Hall Mcr a few years ago - was brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU5xA6ty0a4

I saw Buddy a few weeks ago at Summerfest. Great young band, Buddy is sort of an ageless type of guy..

He had a great message about the blues and told fun stories about the blues that included the major British blues artist.

Blue

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/07/2018 at 11:58, drake said:

Try The Marcus King Band for a modern funky approach.

Been listening to Marcus a little while, came up in a youtube recommendation because I was listening to Dumpstaphunk and I'm so glad it did.

Coming to Manchester in October,  really want to go see this band. Love his style.

• Like 1