Why become a member? ×

Talk to me about the blues.....

T-Bay

+1 for Robbin Ford.

Plenty of very worthy musicians to look at here, but I'm a bit surprised nobody's mentioned Jonny Lang yet. His first two albums (produced when he was a scrawny teenager but sound anything but) are well worth a listen imho.

What about Kenny Wayne Shepherd too?

Edited by leftybassman392

49 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

+1 for Robbin Ford.

Plenty of very worthy musicians to look at here, but I'm a bit surprised nobody's mentioned Jonny Lang yet. His first two albums (produced when he was a scrawny teenager but sound anything but) are well worth a listen imho.

What about Kenny Wayne Shepherd too?

Come on Lefty, read the thread.

Kenny Wayne mentioned early on by me and agreed by Blue.

6 minutes ago, steantval said:

Come on Lefty, read the thread.

Kenny Wayne mentioned early on by me and agreed by Blue.

Well excuse me! I did think he'd been mentioned but didn't find the reference when I checked through. No excuses though. I shall now go and spend the next two hours forcing myself to listen to the collected works of Richard Clayderman while sitting in a bath of cold  oxtail soup.

2 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Well excuse me! I did think he'd been mentioned but didn't find the reference when I checked through. No excuses though. I shall now go and spend the next two hours forcing myself to listen to the collected works of Richard Clayderman while sitting in a bath of cold  oxtail soup.

Richard Clayderment is a well known exponent of the Blues, several of his earlier works are fine examples of the genre 😀

13 minutes ago, steantval said:

Richard Clayderment is a well known exponent of the Blues, several of his earlier works are fine examples of the genre 😀

Maybe so, but my mum used to like him and she was in her 70s at the time and knew nothing about music beyond liking Richard f***ing Clayderman. I'll pick the songs that aren't Blues if it makes you feel any better.

Edited by leftybassman392

35 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

I used to sit in a bath of cold oxtail soup to shrink my new Levi’s to fit back in the 70’s 🤪

5 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I quite like a bit of folk blues now and again of the John Renbourn and Martin Simpson variety. Both are fine acoustic  fingerstyle players.

[Pedant alert]: strictly speaking that's folk I think.

Don't get me wrong, I like Renbourn and Simpson is an immensely talented player IMHO, but to me the term Folk Blues speaks more of Mississippi John Hurt, Doc Watson, John Jackson et al. In that vein you could do worse than listen to Stefan Grossman. John Jackson is a more direct route to the early players, but you pays yer money...

I only say this because I spent a number of years working with the European Blues Association . The term would be contrasted with the harder Delta Blues tradition of Robert Johnson and others (which of course gave rise to the Chigago Blues tradition, which in turn gave us the electric Blues most of us are familiar with today).

[/Pedant alert]

Saw Robert Cray a few years back, and glad I did :)
My favourite blues player / singer in recent years is Eric Bibb
Saw him at Cambridge Folk fest several years back - and I was simply blown away
Not only is he an amazing guitarist, but he's got a wonderful voice too, and there's plenty of variation in hist style - it doesn't all sound like 12 bar

His album dedicated to Leadbelly, where he covers a whole album of Leadbelly's songs, along with JJ Milteau is amazing - I would highly recommend that one
This year, Eric is back at Cambridge and I'm really over the moon about that :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

[Pedant alert]: strictly speaking that's folk I think.

Don't get me wrong, I like Renbourn and Simpson is an immensely talented player IMHO, but to me the term Folk Blues speaks more of Mississippi John Hurt, Doc Watson, John Jackson et al. In that vein you could do worse than listen to Stefan Grossman. John Jackson is a more direct route to the early players, but you pays yer money...

I only say this because I spent a number of years working with the European Blues Association . The term would be contrasted with the harder Delta Blues tradition of Robert Johnson and others (which of course gave rise to the Chigago Blues tradition, which in turn gave us the electric Blues most of us are familiar with today).

[/Pedant alert]

Ha ha well I'm not really one for categories/sub-genres  though you could say folk-blues is a strand of Blues music or a sub-genre of folk. Then again I'm not gonna come out with that most irksome of cliches' there are only two types of music..good and bad'. 

3 hours ago, bassace said:

I shared a dressing room with Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee once. Does that count?

Absolutely,in my books anyway.

Great talents, saw them in Vancouver and was glad I did.They always seemed to really enjoy playing with each other and complemented each other so well.