Why become a member? ×

Talk to me about the blues.....

T-Bay

I am mostly a rock/ punk/ grunge/ alternative listener but have always loves the sort of blues my dad used to listen to. People like Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker etc. Recently my blues interest is having a bit of a Renaissance but I realise there must be some brilliant modern blues artists out there. So I was wondering if we have any big blues fans who would like to make any suggestions for bands/ artists worth giving some time to.

Guitarist in one of my bands recently discovered Colter Wall. Young guy with a very mature voice. We've been covering 'The Devil Wears a Suit and Tie' in our set recently. It always goes down well. 

I tired to post the link but it didn't work. I'm just getting used to a new computer! I might try again later. 🙂

Edited by seashell
  • Like 1

Lance Lopez and Anders Osborne are two that come to mind to me. 

Actually for new ‘old’ blues, Sweet Tea by Buddy Guy is pretty damn good.

Robert Randolph and the Family Band hit on funk and gospel as much as blues, but Robert Randolph is an awesome slide guitarist. 

• Like 1

It depends what you mean by modern. There are people doing the same kind of thing as the ones you mentioned, and doing it really well, and there are people with a modern take on it. 

How about this:

Maybe more rock than blues, but Band of Skulls are my current favourite 

• Like 1

Joe is a money-making machine. Hope he gets his fair share!

I remember interviewing him a while ago and said ‘Where do you think you’ll be in 10 years time?’ 

He said, straight off: ‘If they’re anything like the last ten I’ll be dead...’

• Like 1

I recently went to see Pontus Snibb's Wreck of Blues and thought they were great - a feast of tasty licks (I read that once). 

If you don't know Pontus he's a Swedish guy who is the guitarist in rock band Bonafide and sometime drummer in Jason & the Scorchers.

2 hours ago, seashell said:

Guitarist in one of my bands recently discovered Colter Wall. Young guy with a very mature voice. We've been covering 'The Devil Wears a Suit and Tie' in our set recently. It always goes down well. 

🙂

...another great Canadian,born and raised in Saskatchewan.Interesting stuff.

😀

2 hours ago, seashell said:

I tired to post the link but it didn't work. I'm just getting used to a new computer! I might try again later. 🙂

• Like 1