Why become a member? ×

Advice needed for fixing up a JOLANA BASSO IX (machine heads, strings)

PaulTMA

Yesterday I got hold of a Jolana Basso IX, which I believe is in need of only a small amount of work.  Firstly, it had been fitted with regular guitar tuners rather than bass ones, so firstly I need to replace those asap.  I am on a tight budget as it is, so what entry level but acceptable enough machine heads can I buy (I'm in the UK) which will work?

Also, as I'll be paying for a setup, I want to take the opportunity to put on flatwound strings which are similar in feel to my Squire Mustang Mikey Way, which has 45-90 GHS Flats on it.  This is the part where I get confused, as I am not sure which string gauge to buy as the scale will be different, but I understand there are differences in tensions between roundwounds and flatwounds.  I would very much like to get this right first time as the string appear not to be cheap.  I don't want to go too heavy a gague and be stuck with the strings I don't like, but obviously have to make sure they are not too light, although light is what I prefer.  So I guess I am looking for something comparable to the GHS boomer flats on what appears to be a full (or medium?) bass.

I took the bass to two guitar shops today and one said they thought it was medium scale and the other said he thought I needed long scale.  I said I was wary about needing to cut the strings as I've heard flatwounds can unravel, and I think he told me that this only applies to the winding, so he told me to avoid a brand which has this material where I would wind the strings.  So would that make sense, unless someone can recommend me exactly the correct length of strings for this bass?  It's roughly 33" from nut to where the string enters.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I have someone who will help me with the setup itself but I need to source the machine heads and the strings myself.

37105195_501530640303360_488323130562759

Edited by PaulTMA

17 minutes ago, gary mac said:

Not the most knowledgable guitar shops, if they couldn't identify the scale length.

Measure from the fretboard side of the nut to the saddle and report back here 👍

If I've done it correctly, then it looks roughly 33".

2je7lhv.jpg

zxjfoo.jpg

3 hours ago, gary mac said:

So if this bass is roughly 33" or just under, will long scale strings do the job, as opposed to super long scale?

Also, will any 2L 2R bass machine heads do the job?

As my Mustang uses  GHS Precision Flatwound Stainless 45-95 Medium Scale Bass Boomers 3120 - 34.5" Winding - which I like...

....and I tried out the JMJ Mustang which uses 45-100 (short scale) - which I found a little too chunky....

...could Chromes 45-100 long scale be a good shout, to be comparable to the GHS on the Mustang, except on this longer scale bass?  Would really like to get something that feels and plays similar.

I'm also seeing positive reviews for these strings which come at a more affordable price - can anyone vouch for them?

Fender Stainless 9050's Flatwounds

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00389KMQM/?coliid=I1EGL8ZN3J8UIM&colid=V8E709IS1GVU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edited by PaulTMA

You're measuring to the correct point now, and your scale is 30". The saddles will always need to be adjusted further away from the nominal scale to intonate correctly. That's classed as a short scale bass.

I wouldn't worry about cutting the strings to length. Most strings will need to be cut to length when fitted. A 90 degree bend in the end, tucked down into the centre hole of the tuner before you wind the rest of the string on, will usually stop any "fraying".

Ok, so 30" scale, but I measured the G string already on the bass and it's 39.5" in total.  Do you think that is the correct overall length for this bass or too much?  I'd prefer not to cut whatever I get as I've heard of unravelling issues, but you've said these can be avoid - I hope the person doing the setup will be ok with this.  I wondered if the strings originally on it were too long, as you can see on the original machine heads:

2ir8yh0.jpg&key=c5483375fa7a9f20a98819c5

What do others think I should get - medium or long scale strings?

And if I wanted the same feel as GHS 45-90 roundwound boomers on this bass, what would you recommend?

All suggestions much appreciated.  :)

Edited by PaulTMA

You mention replacing the Tuners. Looks like the reason they used small Tuners is because the posts look very close to the edge. I'm not convinced a standard elephant ear tuner will fit so you may have to go with something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-NEW-Wilkinson-WJB-650-Tuners-Machine-heads-for-Bass-Guitar-WJB650/131402034322?hash=item1e982bec92:m:mRHkxo0Kc5cN_0zjGv09NyQ&var=431475327783

Obviously if you measure the tuner post hole to the edge of the headstock you'll be able to compare it to the different sizes available.

Despite the wild design & looks, your bass is actually very similar to the Hofner 500/1 Beatle bass.

There are so many of those out there that you should find that strings for Violin bass offer you the widest choice and lowest prices.

You may also note that the 500/1 has shipped with what we all think of as 'guitar tuners' for the last 60 years ... if it ain't bust, don't fix it.

For scale length it's better to measure from the nut to the 12th fret. This is more accurate because neither ever move, unlike bridge saddles.

So, measure nut to 12th fret and double the measurement. Thats your true scale length

On 01/08/2018 at 14:50, Happy Jack said:

Despite the wild design & looks, your bass is actually very similar to the Hofner 500/1 Beatle bass.

There are so many of those out there that you should find that strings for Violin bass offer you the widest choice and lowest prices.

You may also note that the 500/1 has shipped with what we all think of as 'guitar tuners' for the last 60 years ... if it ain't bust, don't fix it.

Good point re the Tuners which I ignored, as you said you wanted to replace them! However, they don't look original or at least in the original place,  as you can see less faded wood showing  around the back-plates.

Edited by yorks5stringer

On 02/08/2018 at 16:17, yorks5stringer said:

Good point re the Tuners which I ignored, as you said you wanted to replace them! However, they don't look original or at least in the original place,  as you can see less faded wood showing  around the back-plates.

But the original tuners would have been very similar in terms of size and design.

Also for the scale length, since this bass has a zero fret you should measure form the centre of the zero fret to the centre of the 12th fret and double it.

Edited by BigRedX