Why become a member? ×

Using my pedalboard case as a riser/isolator

logicred

I have a VERY chunky metal pedalboard flightcase that just gets put to one side at a gig.  It has a small amount of foam in it for protection purposes.  I stuck my combo on top of it the other day to raise it up a bit so I could hear it better. It fitted perfectly.  I wondered how this would effect the sound?  Could I buy some dense foam to put in the case and use it as a riser/isolator for gigs with hollow floors?  I read that isolators made a large difference and stopped the bellowing boomy sound...  Thought it might be a neat solution perhaps!

On 23/07/2018 at 08:48, logicred said:

I read that isolators made a large difference and stopped the bellowing boomy sound...

Don't believe everything you read, unless it's backed up by actual measured results...like this:

http://ethanwiner.com/speaker_isolation.htm

or this:

https://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19112

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bill. Really interesting reads!  I always suffered at gigs with hollow wooden floors and got a muddy sound.  After a post to a forum last year I got lots of replies claiming an isolation pad will sort it.  "Night and day" difference etc.  I borrowed some high density foam and tried it and it did nothing.  I think really I just wanted to raise my amp up a bit and save space by using my pedal board case!  Was a bit worried the gap might be bad, but I guess not after all.

In the 80s we put our crappy err heavy and reliable Peavey TNTs on milk crates coz they sounded less muddy. There was no internet to tell us we were decoupling the cab from the floor. I played a few stages that were just plywood sheets over milk crates too lol.