Why become a member? ×

HB PB-50 - v3.0 Becomes v4.0...

discreet

HB PB-50 - v3.0 Becomes v4.0...

*AUDIO CLIP*

You'll be pleased to know that this will be the final reincarnation of this HB PB-50 Precision Bass. Yes... I know I said that last time - but Shoreline Gold, though a very nice finish, isn't really my thing. My thing is basses that are white. Or cream. Or aged Oly White. Or yellow, basically... you know what I mean. I was particularly taken with the new Player Series 'Buttercream' P bass - hence this refinish and reworking - saving myself £649. ;) This one has a custom handmade Herrick dual-coil pickup in it - and very nice it is too... warm, taut and punchy, with the mid-range push typical of a 57-type split-pickup, but in a 51-type four-pole format. It's a beast... check out the audio clip.

https://www.herrickpickups.com/

The previous version 3.0 bass is here. Now read on.

• Body refin in TV Yellow nitro
  • Pickguard in Acrylic White
  • Fender American Deluxe Bridge, Top-Loading or Through-Body
  • Herrick Dual-Coil Telebass '51' pickup overwound to 11k ohms
  • CTS solid-shaft pots, Chiclet cap .047uF, Switchcraft Jack in cats-eye side plate
  • Fender Chrome '51' Pickup Cover
  • Fender Tug Bar
  • Fender dome-top knurled control knobs with grub screws
  • Wilkinson WJBL 200 tuners
  • La Bella 760FS Steel Flatwounds 45-65-85-105, Through-Body Stringing

BODDYONE.jpg

BODY3.jpg

HSTOCKF.jpg

BODY2.jpg

HSTOCKB.jpg

Is this really the final version..? I hope so, because I just don't have the time (or disposable bass tokens) for any more finishing shenanigans... I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

It sounds amazing and looks really cool too. Great job all round!

Thank you, sir. That Herrick dual-coil is really the business - it has a lovely growl and is punchier than Mr Punch. And Judy. And the sausages. Or something. Hot, isn't it? :D

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

File the Wilkinsons did we sir? 

No I didn't, but the backplates are bloody tight. I screwed them on loosely at first then tightened them up gradually over time and eventually got them in place. But it would probably have been easier and quicker to file them. 9_9

12 hours ago, Basscabman said:

Love that colour mate, what sort of prep did you have to do to the body before spraying? Did you clear coat it? I have the red one and would love to do It that colour.  Great job.

Originally it was poly over a fotoflame sunburst finish. I keyed it with a Scotchbrite pad and shot a few coats of Shoreline Gold nitro over it, which turned out very well. Then I got bored with that, so did a bit of wet and dry work with some micromesh then sprayed about four coats of TV Yellow nitro. There's no clear coat - I'm hoping for some interesting wear over time. 

the actual colour isn't as yellow as the pics show. They were taken in a conservatory in bright sun. It's more of a cream colour, like the 68 Telebass of that year. The top pic is most representative colour-wise.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

Stripping bodies back to the wood is highly overrated in my opinion! Some careful keying of the surface followed by one or two very light mist coats followed by a few heavier coats seems to work well. Then leave to harden for a week or two before applying clear coats followed by wet and dry work with progressively finer Micromesh, if you want that glass-like finish. I can't be bothered once the colour coats are on. :D

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Basscabman said:

It looks shiny enough without a clear coat. 

It usually does. You can lightly buff it with polish if you want it a bit shinier. Again, I'm not that fussed as I prefer a 'light relic' look anyway. I should probably point out that I'm very much an amateur where refinishing is concerned. Just in case you hadn't worked that out. :D

7 minutes ago, Basscabman said:

...gonna do the neck sometime this week but really thinking about a body colour change too. I'll see what It looks like when I've done the neck. 

We'll need detailed pics, a long rambling explanation and some off-colour jokes, please. ;)

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1