Why become a member? ×

Camphor burl top - void filling

Berserker

On 10/09/2018 at 17:46, mybass said:

This popped up on FB....Custom River Guitars in Canada....hope the link works.....lots of filler!

https://www.thisisinsider.com/custom-river-guitars-2018-8

Not going to be everybody's Cappuccino but I love it - some amazing basses...and as the man says "nobody's going to have the same bass" 

• Like 1

On 10/09/2018 at 17:46, mybass said:

This popped up on FB....Custom River Guitars in Canada....hope the link works.....lots of filler!

It won't work with script filters.

Three quarters of the page you linked out to is third party stuff.  I don't bother with sites who can't give you a page without you accept scripts from "associates".

I trust the content was interesting however.

@mybassand @BreadBin

Thanks for that.  Seeing the resin being poured in has such a soothing effect.  I love looking at those driftwood composite bodies in still photos already but the process is mesmerising by itself.

I used a resin kit in my youth.  It was sold by hobby shops as a means of making decorative objects such as those paperweights that have the components of a watch embedded or an interesting insect.  The hardener is nasty stuff.  I only played with that for a while as the fumes and the loss of chemically hardened skin from my unprotected fingers put me off.  I was only twelve and H&S was not really a thing those days.

The clip mentions Ecopoxy resin.  I could thank you for that alone.

Have we any owners reading who could comment on the durability of this sort of composite body over long periods of time?  It's one thing to fill voids in a burl top but one of those driftwood bodies looked like it relied heavily on the resin as a structural component.

On 12/09/2018 at 07:00, SpondonBassed said:

I used a resin kit in my youth.  It was sold by hobby shops as a means of making decorative objects such as those paperweights that have the components of a watch embedded or an interesting insect.  The hardener is nasty stuff.  I only played with that for a while as the fumes and the loss of chemically hardened skin from my unprotected fingers put me off.  I was only twelve and H&S was not really a thing those days.

Ahhhh, the good old days pre H&S :)

For those not of a certain age ( I'm guessing you and I are similar SpondonBassed ) I think he may be referring to this 70's toy...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/292311832051583702/

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I also remember almost blowing up my mates kitchen with his Chemistry 6 set.... 🤣

The joys of two 9 year olds and a methylated spirits burner.. 😲

Edited by BassTool
Changed pic address

2 hours ago, BassTool said:

Ahhhh, the good old days pre H&S :)

For those not of a certain age ( I'm guessing you and I are similar SpondonBassed ) I think he may be referring to this 70's toy...

https://goo.gl/images/BYprFR

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I also remember almost blowing up my mates kitchen with his Chemistry 6 set.... 🤣

The joys of two 9 year olds and a methylated spirits burner.. 😲

I had one of those chemistry sets.  It had scalpels in it.  I wanted to dissect a frog.  It seemed a cool thing to do at the time.  I was about 11 or so.  I caught and smothered an unfortunate volunteer victim with a rag soaked in methylated spirit.  I held it across the poor bugger's muzzle until it stopped squirming, seemingly dead.  I had all of its intestines laid out when I got called in from the shed for my tea.

I didn't go out to the shed until the next morning and the frog was gone!  There was a faint trail as if a slug had been across the table and on the floor leading to the unfortunate creature, now dead and with its guts trailing behind.  I felt awful about it then and I still do, to some extent, even now.

Let's not forget how Bostik was a household name too.

I spent many happy hours playing with it.  I LOVED the smell of it.  It's possible I have brain damage just from playing with it, Blue Peter fashion.

Pardon me for rambling.

Edited by SpondonBassed

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

I had one of those chemistry sets.  It had scalpels in it.  I wanted to dissect a frog.  It seemed a cool thing to do at the time.  I was about 11 or so.  I caught and smothered an unfortunate volunteer victim with a rag soaked in methylated spirit.  I held it across the poor bugger's muzzle until it stopped squirming, seemingly dead.  I had all of its intestines laid out when I got called in from the shed for my tea.

I didn't go out to the shed until the next morning and the frog was gone!  there was a faint trail as if a slug had been across the table and on the floor leading to the unfortunate creature, now dead and with its guts trailing behind.  I felt awful about it even now.

Let's not forget how Bostik was a household name too.

I spent many happy hours playing with it.  I LOVED the smell of it.  It's possible I have brain damage just from playing with it, Blue Peter fashion.

Pardon me for rambling.

Great frog story! 😂🤣

Bostick was a pain, all that string coming off the tube, kids these days are missing out sitting in front of screens instead of blowing up kitchens and chopping up frogs IMO ;) 

Anyhow, back to the Camphor Burl, did it get filled? 🤭

• Thanks 1