Why become a member? ×

Which cab, 2 x 12 or 4 x 10

logicred

I have a Gallien Krueger MB500 Amp head arriving soon.  (500 Watt @ 4 Ohm, 350 Watt @ 8 Ohm).    I want to buy a cab to match and have an option of a new GK 2x12 (600w 8ohms) or a used GK 4x10 (800w 4ohms model).  I can only try the 4x10 but would have to buy blind on the 2x12 as there are none nearby to try.  They are both the same price at approx £550

- I play jazz bass only/funk style, lots of slap
- I only play mostly smaller gigs so volume not too much of an issue.  The occasional larger gig is usually handled by a sound engineer and I then go through the PA too.
- I previously had a Markbass CMD102P (2 x 10) which always sounded muddy to my ears and never cut through well.  This is for sale BTW 😉
- I like the idea of a 2x12 for smaller gigs, then another 2x12 in the future for larger gigs maybe (will this give a clearer sound, or just louder?_

Any advice appreciated.

There`s no specific sound to the size of drivers, but many voice their cabs to have different sounds, and different ranges will also have different characteristics. There`s nothing like hearing a piece of equipment for yourself, so I`d try the 410 first, if you like it go for it.

2x12 seems an ideal size cab to me. But I guess I'm biased towards a 12" speaker providing the ideal mix of articulation / punch and low end. 

However the 4x10, being 4ohms, will let you get the full 500W from your amp, should you ever need it, without the expense of a second cab.

I’m wedded to my old Goliath 4x10. It just works for me. I’ve been tempted by the newer vertical 2x12’s like the Barefaced etc. but not enough to actually put my hand in my pocket. For slap (I’m NOT a slapper) I think you’ll need a good quality high frequency horn and a fully adjustable L pad to be able to dial in just enough sizzle. 

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Which cabs are they specifically? I'd pick any Neo or RBX over a Goldline for instance, regardless of speaker choice.

The GK 212 is the NEO and the 4x10 is the RBH series (nearly twice the weight).  Sorry, forgot to mention that!

Edited by logicred

41 minutes ago, logicred said:

The GK 212 is the NEO and the 4x10 is the RBH series (nearly twice the weight).  Sorry, forgot to mention that!

Well the 212 NEO gets a lot of praise over on Talkbass, and will be a lot easier to move about - those RBH cabs are great but rather unwieldy due to shape and weight. A bit of Talkbass research would be worth doing I reckon.