Why become a member? ×

Taylor GS Mini

drlargepants

I know this is somewhat subjective, but the action looks (and feels) way high on this.

Anything other than the cowboy chords seems really hard work.  

What does the panel think ? Action at nut seems ok, relief is fine, and neck angle to my limited knowledge looks about right. 

Intonation is off also on the low E and A strings, which would be a symptom  of high action yes ?

A slight disclaimer though is that I haven’t played guitar in years, and especially not an acoustic, if this is normal I’m giving up now lol !

089F2903-C763-4F80-AA56-1B130E9718C6.jpeg

2BFBC37B-C95A-49BA-B2B5-4D9DBBA73874.jpeg

Edited by drlargepants

That’s what I thought. You should struggle to get a pound coin under it based on their specs. 

Might just be a high saddle I guess, hopefully it’s not that the neck angle is on the lash  

The perils of buying blind!

Edited by drlargepants

I took my GS Mini back after a couple of months from new to have the action and one fret buzz sorted so they aren’t exactly perfect out if the box every time. Unless the neck relief/ truss rod is not set up good then it must be a high nut or high bridge needs sorting?

• Thanks 1

Even for an acoustic that action is getting towards unplayable territory.

As a general rule of thumb, once you've got the basic technique down, playing barre chords shouldn't require any real physical effort.

On that guitar it looks like it would require a fair bit of downwards force even quite near the nut, let alone further up the board.

Edited by Cato
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mybass said:

I took my GS Mini back after a couple of months from new to have the action and one fret buzz sorted so they aren’t exactly perfect out if the box every time. Unless the neck relief/ truss rod is not set up good then it must be a high nut or high bridge needs sorting?

Nut looks ok tbh, so hopefully it’s just the bridge that needs a shave 

• 1 year later...
On 16/10/2019 at 17:00, Grahambythesea said:

It’s a Taylor and should have a brilliant action, even if it is only a GS mini. My 2 are phenomenal and having been to the factory in El Cajon I know how fussy their QC man is. Take it back, or take it to an authorised Taylor repair shop.

Got rid of it in the end. 
Currently looking at a Big Baby or maybe a Seagull 

• Like 1