Why become a member? ×

Gibson ES-355

JimBobTTD

I have been in love with this guitar for years. Does anyone here have one? If so, please tell me that it is bad and that I do not actually want it. I think I am at least five years away from being in a position to consider one seriously. 

gibson-2014-custom-shop-limited-es-355-e

They are a long way from cheap. I would be looking at one with the ebony fingerboard, so pre-2011 (I think). They come in at about £4,000...if you can find one. 

I first saw one when I saw Slash, then in Velvet Revolver, play Last Fight on American TV. It was a jaw-on-the-floor moment and my obsession began!

gibson335.jpg

He later played a red one, but, while it is lovely, it is not the same as the black one. 

slash_ES335.jpg

Our lead guitarist has one, it was his divorce present to himself. It is a thing of sheer and utter beauty and sounds divine. No idea what he paid for it but he has it a while now. 

Edited by T-Bay

Based on the Gibsons I’ve played vs cheaper but still quality guitars, there will be something else out there for a quarter of the money that will be as good or better. For half that price there is a semi out there that you will fall in love with.

Google “Gibson es335 alternatives”, find something amazing and go on a nice holiday with the change.

• Like 1

I always wanted a 335, I was seriously tempted to get a 1965 335 a few years ago cheaper than the full new price - for some reason their prices weren't as crazy at the time, probably caught up by now. But playing one for a bit puts me off as they are so awkward and heavy. Those problems are a bit sorted with the 339, smaller bodied, lighter weight, all the advantages.

I would say though, as mentioned up there, for half the money they are charging now you can get much nicer guitars. 

10 hours ago, JimBobTTD said:

In black? I’m already very jealous!

Sadly not in Black, it’s a sunburst, not sure of the name but it goes from a very dark (could be black) to a goldy yellow colour. It doesn’t come out very often but he has gigged it with us a couple of times when it’s a really nice venue. He plays a Les Paul normally and the 355 sounds noticeably better to my ears. The black looks even better to me.

Just curious... why a 355 and not a 335? Without the varitone gubbins (which the instrument in your picture doesn't have afaics), it's basically the same guitar but for a few cosmetic details.

I have an '84 ES-335TD  in Cherry Red which is a fabulous instrument that I'll have until death doth us part. In all honesty I'm struggling to understand why this wouldn't be enough for you.

Just now, JimBobTTD said:

Ah, you are being rational about a rather irrational lust, leftybassman. 

The ebony, the blocks, the headstock appearance do it for me. 

I’m with you.

if you want a steak, you buy a steak - never settle for a beef burger instead.

Just now, JimBobTTD said:

Ah, you are being rational about a rather irrational lust, leftybassman. 

The ebony, the blocks, the headstock appearance do it for me. 

It is sounding like you are too far gone for us to help! One last go: 

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_hb_detail18.php?year=2018&cat_id=7&series_id=112&data_id=13&color=CL01

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-artstar-prestige-am-200-black/908678

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m with you.

if you want a steak, you buy a steak - never settle for a beef burger instead.

Hmm, that's not the same thing at all. I'm saying the OP can get an objectively the same quality guitar for half the money, not that he should spend less and get somethign worse. I'm saying have steak, but pay half the price for the same thing by getting it from your local butcher. 

21 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

Hmm, that's not the same thing at all. I'm saying the OP can get an objectively the same quality guitar for half the money, not that he should spend less and get somethign worse. I'm saying have steak, but pay half the price for the same thing by getting it from your local butcher. 

🙄 right, ok...how about ‘buy what you want, it’s your money...’ not a steak based analogy, but works perfectly.

😉

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

🙄 right, ok...how about ‘buy what you want, it’s your money...’ not a steak based analogy, but works perfectly.

😉

That is true. 

The only problem now is that I suddenly want an Ibanez Artstar!

• Haha 1

The mind is a strange thing, £2k seems crazy money for an Ibanez whereas £4K for a Gibson doesn’t. I appreciate it doesn’t make sense but I guess I just see Ibanez as a budget make which is very unfair, especially as I have a couple and they are great (but not even close to the sound of my Thunderbird which may be biasing me).

7 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

The mind is a strange thing, £2k seems crazy money for an Ibanez whereas £4K for a Gibson doesn’t. I appreciate it doesn’t make sense but I guess I just see Ibanez as a budget make which is very unfair, especially as I have a couple and they are great (but not even close to the sound of my Thunderbird which may be biasing me).

I think it's just because Ibanez do make lots of lower end value guitars as well as things like the prestige stuff. The high end ones are good things to pick up second hand at half the new price or less.

I know they don't do it for people like Gibson's do, although I do have an irrational desire for a JEM90HAM.

The black and dark colours look good, not so keen on the sunbursts (but that is true of a lot of guitars).

Mind you, that is for old ones, 20 years or so, once they have some life in them,  the brand new ones look rather bland and almost fake. Would certainly prefer the Yamaha if I could get a decent one rather than a new gibson, but better would be an older 355 with the varitone. And it should have a bigsby. Even though they are stinky poo, they look the part.