Why become a member? ×

Why no love for Laney?

Jonny Boots

The Markbass aesthetics have put me off buying their products for a good decade now. They just look awful. They generally sound good though. 

I had the new Laney Nexus 1x12 combo for a while and it was outstanding. Absolutely packed with features, great build quality, great tone and classy aesthetics. If it wasn't for my GAS issues I'd still have it 🤔

My excuse for not feeling the love for Laney gear is my experience with the vey first amp I ever bought;  back in the early 80s.

It was a Laney "Mighty Bass" practice amp and although it outwardly looked well built;  unfortunately the casing buzzed, rattled and vibrated whenever I played through it, even at the most restrained solo practice volumes.

As my first impression of this brand; it wasn't good and alas, rightly or wrongly; first impressions tend to stick. 😯

ok god the last pic of the lego speaker...got me thinking of building a lego cover for my expensive cabs to look ultra crap like that...think is that much lego would probably cost more than the can itself

That Lego cab is class.

Just think you could take it to a gig in a lightweight plastic tub, assemble, play, disassemble and take it home. Just think of all the configurations you could build a cab for every occasion.

Maybe a new concept here - must contact Laney.

Edited by naxos10
  • Haha 1

I've got an underutilised RB3 combo.  It's the version with the 12 inch driver and no tweeter.

I used it for practice and once took it to an audition in a community centre hall where it performed well (I got offered bassist).  I didn't take up the offer.  Shortly after I got a beefier Ashdown combo that I use for practice.  I haven't had that out and about yet.  The Ashdown has a 15 inch cone and is a bit of overkill for practice but with the 18 inch extension cab it becomes ultrakill.  It's not a problem because our workshop is at the far end of the house.

The poor old Laney sits in another room in case I want to practice in there.  It's handy if my housemate wants to use the workshop, I can plug into the Laney in the old dining room.

It's a bit plasticky with its nasty chrome-on-plastic knobs but I still like it.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2018 at 19:27, Deedee said:

I noted on another thread that I’d used an Rb9 and Laney cab at a rehearsal room a couple of months back and it sounded great (even took a pic).  Very punchy with far better than expected dispersion.  Very impressed.

A9153A9F-8234-46C1-98BF-1ECB98E21CE0.jpeg

Thats the same head I have but I use a 4x12 cab, get a great sound out of it.

• Like 1

I had a Laney Pro Bass head back in the 90's with graphic and other whistles, but it was pretty unremarkable and so was I probably. I was also unimpressed by my trace elliot smx 350 rig which shows how little I knew. The first rig I was blown away by at another band's gig was a Warwick Thumb into a Hartke AH3500 with 410XL and 115XL. I sold my SMX rig and about 10 basses to get that set up and gigged it happliy for many years until this forum introduced me to GAS. I should give my lawyer a call!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Not to go too far off topic but that is one of the better looking Mark Bass products IMHO. That Ninja thingy .........

61+09mvhzKL._UX679_.jpg

Do you want to get a costume to match too?

Edited by EBS_freak

While I don't have any current love for Laney, a long time ago I used to run a rig - 2x15, 2x10, big old DP150 head (I couldn't afford the DP300).  I'd never loved whatever was passing for the affordable/budget end of bass playing back then...people just too obsessed with Marshalls to be honest.  Anyhow this was my set up.  It was furiously loud and I never ran it more than about halfway.

image.png.62a349779f7abd1b9f35456ba5decf6b.png

• Like 4

12 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

While I don't have any current love for Laney, a long time ago I used to run a rig - 2x15, 2x10, big old DP150 head (I couldn't afford the DP300).  I'd never loved whatever was passing for the affordable/budget end of bass playing back then...people just too obsessed with Marshalls to be honest.  Anyhow this was my set up.  It was furiously loud and I never ran it more than about halfway.

image.png.62a349779f7abd1b9f35456ba5decf6b.png

That's the same amp model that I had but my rig was forever farting out at any band level volume. I had different cabs, a 1x15 and 4x10, both with the same Laney blue stripe log that yours have in this shot, so maybe it was those that were the weak link? 

28 minutes ago, Osiris said:

That's the same amp model that I had but my rig was forever farting out at any band level volume. I had different cabs, a 1x15 and 4x10, both with the same Laney blue stripe log that yours have in this shot, so maybe it was those that were the weak link? 

Our rehearsal space at our guitarist's house was affectionately known as Tracey Island; it was this huge place that looked very similar to the family home from Thunderbirds...the guy ran the family business and was pretty monied at 20, so he threw a load of money into getting the lower rooms knocked into one, soundproofed and filled with boy's toys, video and pinball machines, a pool table and a full wet bar.  It was a little insane.  The room was maybe 50'x20' and I was up against a very loud drummer and the guitarist who was running a very large rack of gear into a couple of 4x12s.  I'd say unequivocally that the Laney held its own in that environment.  We gigged a handful of times and it was more a case of rolling back the volume in that context; I have no memory of whether the guy handling front of house put a mic in front of the cabs or there was a DI option.

2 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Our rehearsal space at our guitarist's house was affectionately known as Tracey Island; it was this huge place that looked very similar to the family home from Thunderbirds...the guy ran the family business and was pretty monied at 20, so he threw a load of money into getting the lower rooms knocked into one, soundproofed and filled with boy's toys, video and pinball machines, a pool table and a full wet bar.  It was a little insane.  The room was maybe 50'x20' and I was up against a very loud drummer and the guitarist who was running a very large rack of gear into a couple of 4x12s.  I'd say unequivocally that the Laney held its own in that environment.  We gigged a handful of times and it was more a case of rolling back the volume in that context; I have no memory of whether the guy handling front of house put a mic in front of the cabs or there was a DI option.

Sounds like it was crazy ride at the time!

Unfortunately my rig was nowhere near as capable as yours proved to be. After that I had a Marshall silver jubilee monster rig with a 2x15 cab and matching 400 watt (I think?) head, which was absolutely phenomenal. With the silver/grey tolex it looked like it was straight out of stonehenge, albeit it a touch taller than 18 inches :lol:

I think it's a reputation based on the guitar gear of the past. Was discussing the brand with my Dad a couple of days ago who gigged as a guitarist through the 80s and 90s who effectively said "great Laney = Alright compared to most other stuff, alright Laney = terrible". I've always found the bass stuff to be very solid and punchy, but the tonal profile not to fit my needs. 

• Like 1

I used to have a Laney DB300H head. Only Laney product I've ever owned. It wasn't bad, just big and heavy, although that impression may be tainted by the other half of the rig - a Peavey TX810...

Traded both against my Ashdown 1x10 ABM combo about 16 0r 17 years ago and haven't looked back!

My only subsequent contact with Laney gear was a 1x15 combo a guy brought along to rehearsals for the band I was in the process of leaving. It looked pretty nice, like a trimmed down version of the head I'd owned, but it sounded totally gutless! I had my rig in the corner of the room (Orange Terror bass, Tecamp 412) and the Laney was shuffled back into the guy's car in favour of mine which was louder ticking over than his was giving it full welly...

Current Nexus micro head looks very interesting, but I imagine the subsequent resale value would put a lot of potential buyers right off.

Edited by Bigwan

20 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Harsh.

the truth can be harsh :)

That is my opinion and I will buy Bergantino,Fender, Markbass , GK,Ampeg, Hartke, Trace Elliot, TC, Marshall, Aguilar, Darkglass  before I even look at a Laney. If it makes you feel better I'll add it to the bottom of my list, after EA, Orange,Vox, Roland,MusicMan,. and BEFORE Behringer :)