Why become a member? ×

Anybody switch from left to right handed after a number of years?

PaulWarning

Did a gig last night and for the first time arthritis in the knuckle of my fretting ring finger affected my playing, early days but got me wondering if anybody else has tried to swap left to right or vice versa after learning reasonably proficiently one way ? if so how did it go?

I know the guy out of the Bootleg Beatles switched from right to left.

I tried it once and although my head knew what I should do, my fingers didn't.  It felt like I was trying to play bass again from day one but I didn't need to do it, just wanted to see if I could and have the choice of all those right handed basses that us left-handed players are denied.  Good luck!

Switching from left hand to right hand and vice versa is certainly doable but hard work.

(1) For close on fifty years I used a shotgun to shoot clays, game and vermin.  I am a natural left hander with a shotgun (I write with my right hand) but my right eye is master so I had to learn to shoot from the right shoulder.

(2) Following a life changing accident almost forty years ago, I had to switch my golf swing from right handed to left handed.  This proved much more difficult than changing sides for shooting.  I literally had to learn or relearn everything from grip to alignment.  I still and always have putted right hand.  And I carry one right handed club in my bag for those times when left handed shot is difficult or impossible.

I would imagine that the relearning the bass 'the other way round' would be challenging and frustrating but perfectly doable.

3 hours ago, Rocker said:

(1) For close on fifty years I used a shotgun to shoot clays, game and vermin.  I am a natural left hander with a shotgun (I write with my right hand) but my right eye is master so I had to learn to shoot from the right shoulder.

Similarly, I have to shoot left-handed due to left eye dominance despite being right-handed. Despite the nuisance of the rifles I use being designed for right-handed use, this switch wasn’t difficult. 

Fencing left-handed is harder, but still possible (at a reduced level) with a little work. 

I've got an old encore, found it next to a dust bin, never bothered stringing it as a leftie, tried playing it, as @bertbass says it was like starting to play again but knowing what you're supposed to be doing, frustrating as hell and not easy, hopefully I won't have to do it, yesterday's gig went ok