Why become a member? ×

Guild Starfire II gas

AndyTravis

Can’t stop adding this to an online cart and then chickening out...

I really fancy one, just seems a bit frivolous as I’m not playing much. Bloody beautiful thing...

I did own the DeArmond equivalent in sunburst but didn’t really give it a chance. Loved how it looked but was mainly playing a five string Roscoe Beck at the time and just dismissed it as “that bass I don’t play much”.

647AEA6C-2792-4205-A402-52902E3C2994.jpeg

I nearly bought the one advertised on here, but logistical differences prevented it. My main, in fact only, reason for wanting one of these is that both Phil Leah and Jack Casady played them back in the 60s, and their basses were the first to modified by the newly-formed Alembic company. Not too sure about playing a 30" scale though...

Only slightly modified...

image.png

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Meddle said:

This is a point that needs repeating. Both Phil and Jack were using much modified Starfires. The 'Live/Dead' tone was probably a modified EB-3, rather than a Starfire, even though people cite the latter often.

As I understand it, they were both using standard Starfires until Bear got hold of them and got Ron Wickersham to work on the electrics, a partnership that led to the formation of Alembic

31 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

That Andy Baxter bass sounds sweet!

If you've never been to his shop, it's quite the experience. 

I went down there to try out a couple of basses. What did he plug me in to for amplification? A 1963 B15.... lol

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

If you've never been to his shop, it's quite the experience. 

I went down there to try out a couple of basses. What did he plug me in to for amplification? A 1963 B15.... lol

B15?  Thought that was a WW2 American bomber!

On 22/07/2018 at 16:48, AndyTravis said:

It’s a chance encounter with a 1990’s American Made green one years ago which has formed the lustful memories...

these look absolutely stunning.

I have a starfire from the 90s cracking bass mines natural but would love to find another in cherry or just another really. 

I did try a Newark one but the rosewood bridge saddles caused me issues with string loss that I don't get on the 90s one as it is all metal

• 1 year later...

I got the Dearmond in red and it's really well built - sturdy compared to other semi's ive had/tried - was wondering about putting darkstars on - but not sure it fits into what my band are doing so may move it on eventually but it is one of most beautiful looking basses ive had - got la bella beatle bass strings on - very macca!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_28b1.jpg

• Like 1