Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH250 amp head - keeps cutting out!

zephead

Hi guys, I have a vintage 80s Trace AH250 GP11 head which keeps cutting out under load. The signal starts disappearing and the green power indicator in the front panel starts to flicker before cutting out completely. However the green power on switch at the rear of the amp stays illuminated throughout. Frustratingly if I give the top of the amp a good thump it starts working again for a short time before breaking down again. I'm guessing it's bad earth somewhere - anyone got any ideas? 

Also with the power off. Take your lead and push the jack plug in and out of ALL the sockets on the amp a few times to clean them. Years ago I had an intermittent fault on mine for months that no one could fix and i discovered this snippet on t’interweb somewhere and i’ve had no problems since.

Good suggestions above, could also be a dry joint somewhere internally which banging it restores temporarily. May need a good going over with the soldering iron (or get someone to do it for you, preferably with experience with this kind of thing). First suspects would be larger components that are more likely to vibrate (resonate) at the lower (bass) frequencies, like psu caps, and large resistors which have been stood off the pcb etc.

Thanks for the suggestions! The cutting out seems to have cured itself for the moment but now there is an annoying crackle that is driving me nuts! I have discovered this only occurs when the EQ switch is in the on position - I tried cleaning it with switch cleaner to no avail, does it need replacing or is there another reason that might be causing the problem?

3 hours ago, barkin said:

One of the EQ sliders? (Not in circuit unless the EQ switch is on) ??

I think the problem is under load - when the eq switch is on there is a big surge in volume so now reckon it could be anything! Might just have to go round the pcb with a solder iron......

• 3 weeks later...