Why become a member? ×

The Tokai Hardpuncher Reissue

Jack

Hi guys,

I know the old Hardpunchers (anyone know what years they were made between?) are quite well-regarded, what are people's opinions on the modern reissues that are on Ebay?

There appear to be 2 models, the TBP (around £300) and the TPB55 (around £850). I'm interested in the sunburst and maple TBP for a new band that is starting to play out, but for the same price as a new Tokai you can get a second-hand MIM Fender.

Thanks
Jack

• 2 weeks later...

The TBP (£300) are cheap Chinese made basses, nothing alike to the Tokai Hardpunchers of the day. Perhaps more so like the Westfield quality beginner basses with the Tokai name slapped on, double the price. Ive seen some Squier basses with better specs sell for less.

For the price range you're looking to spend, I'd consider looking at some of the Bass Collection(Bass Centre) basses for sale on here or buy new. They're supposed be be highly regarded instruments for sub £500 basses. I'm sure someone will vouch for this.

Some of the MIM basses, they're ok but overpriced for what opinion I hold on Fenders and prices.

IF you're after a Japanese Tokai, I'd say hold out and wait for one to come up you like and keep adding to your funds. Fantastic basses and worth spending a little more on something quality. 

• Like 2

A Tokai guitar or bass from any era, that has been made in Japan will certainly be a great instrument.

Made anywhere else, expect nothing more then a generic copy built to the average standard for an instrument made in that particular country, but with an unwarranted premium on the price due to the name on headstock.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

Vintage v4 is a safe option, on a budget. We'll built, sound like Precision bass, and look cool. Check ebay. Some b stock on for £199 at the minute 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253813126521

On 08/08/2018 at 05:58, bigsmokebass said:

For the price range you're looking to spend, I'd consider looking at some of the Bass Collection(Bass Centre) basses for sale on here or buy new. They're supposed be be highly regarded instruments for sub £500 basses. I'm sure someone will vouch for this.

Thanks everyone!

With regards to the above comments especially, it looks as though there may be better options in that kind of budget. This would all be easier if I hadn't sold my BC Nanyo....

2 hours ago, Jack said:

Thanks everyone!

With regards to the above comments especially, it looks as though there may be better options in that kind of budget. This would all be easier if I hadn't sold my BC Nanyo....

Ooh I'm the king of sellers remorse, mate. I never learn. Stingray 5,us p bass to name but two!!