Why become a member? ×

Pickguard? - Or NO Pickguard?

discreet

52 minutes ago, discreet said:

I like them too, but would the Cabronita guard look good without the Cabronita pickup? Also, it looks like the standard 51P pickup is a bit nearer the neck.

I like the full package. A two pickup version wouldn’t go amiss 😉

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I like the full package. A two pickup version wouldn’t go amiss 😉

Well yes, but I'm wondering what a Cabronita guard would look like on a 54-type body with a 54-type pickup. Probably a bit weird, is my guess. I'm tending towards the standard white guard. I like the idea of no guard, but apparently the body looks too 'magnolia'. As someone has said previously. Four times. Even though that's not the colour stated on the tin... :|

OK, having considered a no-guard look, I've decided to go completely the other way for a fully-dressed look. White guard, tug bar and 50s pickup cover. Thanks for the comments and opinions.

20180722_150855.jpg

Edited by discreet
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’ve put blanking screws in one of mine - doesn’t look so bad

I'm just going to leave the bar on there - it doesn't get in the way and has a nice vintage look about it. Besides, I'm losing the will to live and might go for a little walk by the river.

5 minutes ago, discreet said:

I'm just going to leave the bar on there - it doesn't get in the way and has a nice vintage look about it. Besides, I'm losing the will to live and might go for a little walk by the river.

I’m not sure this upgrading and modding lark is for you ;)

2 hours ago, discreet said:

OK, having considered a no-guard look, I've decided to go completely the other way for a fully-dressed look. White guard, tug bar and 50s pickup cover. Thanks for the comments and opinions.

20180722_150855.jpg

Looks ace, seriously chic. Me likey much.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, discreet said:

20180722_150855.jpg

Thankfully you've seen sense, pickguard all day long...don't even know why you asked :) 

• Haha 1

REALLY? 

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

This is as bad as people that think the wood doesn't make any difference to the tone.

Pickguard on the 51 totally flips up the sound. It messes with the resonance, this is why Sting's bass tech (Danny) removes them.

(er... just joshing. When new, pickguard all the way. When beat up, n pickguard)

Sting bass 2.jpg

Martin's P bass 3.jpg

no pickguard.jpg

• Like 1