Why become a member? ×

Pedal Power... Get what you pay for?

thisisswanbon

Hi All!

Looking to tap into the fountain of knowledge again!

Currently running a pedal train nano+ with 4 pedals on and a rockboard LT rechargable power supply and daisy chain...  Runs fine, never had any issues, but since adding a Source audio Bass OFD the power pack is draining much quicker than when it was all analogue (I expect this is the design of the pedal).  This has knocked my confidence in the rechargable supply, and it takes an age to charge!

I'd ideally like something to fit under the board, but don't want to spend the earth.  Are the MXR's T-Rex's and Voodoo Labs honestly worth the extra wonga as opposed to the Joyo's and amazon specials on offer?  As long as it lights up it's good, right?!

• Like 1

I use a Pedaltrain Volto - which looks identical to your rechargeable unit except its black and about three times the price 🤔 - and I can get about 5 hours out of mine using an always on drive pedal and a few other effects. 

I guess your bass ofd must be a massive power drain. 

You can use a power bank to supplement your rechargeable unit.  I've never implemented it properly but I have had a test run in the bedroom of plugging my completely flat volto into the powerbank via the USB and it ran just fine with all my pedals engaged. 

Edited by gs_triumph

Im sure you know about the Cioks DC-5. Not cheap but one of the best IMO. Fits perfectly.

As far as lights coming on so its ok, definitely not my experience with my Source Audio After Shock. It kept crashing all of a sudden, and i was about send it back when it was pointed out to me that i was under powering it. I had moved the power source to a lower powered output without realising it. These digital things are a bit temperamental.

29 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Im sure you know about the Cioks DC-5. Not cheap but one of the best IMO. Fits perfectly.

As far as lights coming on so its ok, definitely not my experience with my Source Audio After Shock. It kept crashing all of a sudden, and i was about send it back when it was pointed out to me that i was under powering it. I had moved the power source to a lower powered output without realising it. These digital things are a bit temperamental.

I have a Cioks DC-5 under my Nano. It is bulletproof, has done countless gigs, never seems to fail to power anything I throw at it, is very quiet. 

I umm'd and aaaah'd about the cost of it then went for it - so glad I did. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

I have a Cioks DC-5 under my Nano. It is bulletproof, has done countless gigs, never seems to fail to power anything I throw at it, is very quiet. 

Same here.

I took a punt on the Mooer Macro two years ago. Still using it now (installed under my Pedaltrain Classic...just about fits) and it’s been brilliant. Very quiet and reliable. It will power up anything you want. Only downside...it is a bit heavy. Not sure if would fit under a Pedaltrain Nano though 😕

I have the Rockboard LT and it lasts for hours and hours running 4-5 pedals. How long are your gigs?

I run a daisy chain off one output and my G30 wireless off the other and get literally 6 hours at least 

best value rechargeable power unit. Don't waste money on another brand.ditch that pedal.

I recently rebuilt my board, and I went with the Vitoos Iso 4 Plus, and it's been rock solid so far, loads of current on tap, 8 outputs, very small and low profile, and dirt cheap as well. I don't like the idea of rechargeable supplies, too easy to forget that you didn't charge it enough, or just not have enough power on tap to make it through a whole set, etc. 

I've got a TrueTone CS6 under my Nano board.

Works well. Nice and quiet. 

On my PT Jnr I've got a good old fashioned Voodoo Labs PP2

and on my monster board I've got the Gig Rig Power Generator system with distributors, isolators, High current adaptors etc.

+1 on the Truetone CS6, powering  a Metro 24. Best currently in its class imo.

For me, quality isolated power is the most important thing on your board. Give your pedals what they need to sound their best, and make you sound more awesome.

Edited by tandark

I happen to use Strymon Ojai R30 which fits perfectly under a Nano board and provides 5 switchable high current (500mA each) outputs - but to be honest with you, I've found Source Audio pedals to behave quite well while daisy chained to other pedals. Their current draw generally isn't high enough to introduce the dreaded "digital noise" into the signal path in my experience. I reckon there's a good chance you'll have no issues daisy chaining all your pedals together, while saving a chunk of cash in the process. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for larger boards but on a Nano+ with 4 pedals you'll likely be fine. Try it out!

On 20/07/2018 at 15:55, Bridgehouse said:

Same here. I couldn't get my head around why i was paying so much for the PSU, when the board only cost £35. Really glad i did though. I do wish it had more outputs, as i have two daisy chained. No issues though, and i dont have any high current draw pedal son the board any more.

Edited by dave_bass5

I got a Voodoo Lab Mondo that works nice.

For the gearheads out there who want to power up a small city there is this one, with misspelling and all:
HS-M24-11.jpg

Dimentions: 50mm x 357mm x 84mm

Power input: switchable 230V/110V

Technical specification:

Section Voltage setup Max current draw
I – VII 9V DC 400mA
VIII – IX 9V DC 600mA
12V DC 350mA
X 9V, 12V or 14V AC 1300mA
XI 9V or 16V AC 1300mA
9V DC 1300mA
12V DC 950mA
XII 9V or 12V AC 1300mA
9V DC 1300mA
12V DC 300mA
XIII – XIV 9V DC 500mA
12V DC 330mA
XV – XVII 9V DC 800mA
12V DC 700mA
15V DC 570mA
18V DC 440mA
20V DC 350mA
22V DC 270mA
24V DC 180mA
XVIII 1V – 22V DC 1100mA
23 – 24V DC 750mA
XIX 5,2V DC 2400mA

This should define the term over-kill...

Thanks for all of the responses!  I'm considering the cheap  Caline5 which shows as around £25 on Amazon...  In truth, the Rockboard LT will likely still be fine, but I'd rather have something plugged into the mains for peace of mind.  Eventually I'll be upgrading my board to accommodate an envelope filter and maybe a spectra comp, so the Cioks offerings might get a look in when extra pedals are in place :)

I have the same OFD pedal, and it uses 140mA, so many power supply unit won't work well with it as they have outputs of max 100mA. I use the Caline 5 which is dirty cheap on Amazon and has one output at 500mA. I only had it for a few months but it's been working great. Go for it.

Just for info... I decided on a Vitoos iso4 plus..

8 x 9v 500mA outputs (max 2000mA),

Small enough to fit under the pedal train nano+ (leaving 4 of the 8 outputs available but this suits my needs). Everything running silently, seems to get warm, but not outside of what's acceptable. £33 delivered on Amazon but sure you can get them cheaper on fleabay 

Edited by thisisswanbon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a Caline5 for a bit but found it pretty noisy so bought a Harley Benton Powerplant Junior which is galvanically isolated and has a property hardwired mains supply rather than a plug in DC adaptor. 

Couldn't recommend the Powerplant Junior more highly - provided you're only running 9v pedals.