Why become a member? ×

Jacob Collier Changing the rules of Music!!!

KingPrawn

I thought there was some pretty stunning arrangements on the Prom show (whoever the other arranger(s) were - He didn't do them all, I don't think).

The Orchestra were great, but that particular Dutch Orchestra always are.

Although I am not keen on his voice on certain tunes (hit & miss at times) Jacob Collier has some fantastic ideas regarding Harmony and Rhythm. Certainly a musician who knows what he is doing.

For me it was pretty enjoyable, with some decent performances from all involved. Jules Buckley was on top form as well...

Edited by lowdown

1 minute ago, EBS_freak said:

@Dad3353 - I had to check which thread I was in. There seems to be a lot of spooky parallels going on around these parts.

Yes, I believe you're right; that last video belongs in those other 'debate' threads, not here..! I could move it, but maybe the Poster had something in mind that I've not captured..? Wouldn't be the first time..! :$

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Yes, I believe you're right; that last video belongs in those other 'debate' threads, not here..! I could move it, but maybe the Poster had something in mind that I've not captured..? Wouldn't be the first time..! :$

It's pandemic!

• Haha 1

I though his explanation of layering chords, making chords that utilise natural harmonics, and how you can move harmony towards cadences whilst creating melody was really well explained. I haven't been to a music conservatoire where I expect this is all second nature, but to someone brought up on figuring out for myself, I learned more from him than I've done for a ling time.

Trouble is, I now know I'm a worse bass player that I thought I was yesterday. 

5 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

This guy was doin' summat similar back in the mid 80s wouldn't you agree?

Ed Sheeran - the early years.

I actually bought the single of this & 'me and my mini' in the 80s. A massive influence on my bass playing.

• Haha 1

On 21/07/2018 at 17:16, Burns-bass said:

I really dislike it, but then again, Quincy Jones (who is a genius) considers him to be one too. He also plays with guys like Herbie Hancock who consider him an equal.

Kid must be doing something right to be working with legends like that. 

Quincy Jones former legend. 

The lad's an exceptionally talented multi-instrumentalist for sure but it's the end result wot counts and I'm afraid based on these vids it goes up to 1 and a half. A personal thing but I heartily dislike jazz in all it's forms, bar a bit of Django. I thought the take on I Wish was blimmin awful.

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

But Ed is slightly better at writing songs people love and buy in their millions.

True, and I know it's a thread which has already been flogged to death! All I shall say on that front is that the Viz cartoon "Ed Sheeran and The Fountain of Popularity" resonated quite strongly with my own feelings on the man...

10 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

True, and I know it's a thread which has already been flogged to death! All I shall say on that front is that the Viz cartoon "Ed Sheeran and The Fountain of Popularity" resonated quite strongly with my own feelings on the man...

I’m not a fan either, but I’m not sure he cares what we think 😄

42 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

re-writing existing songs...

Which is what the history of western music is based on so......

It actually makes me sad when a thread about an incredible talent (who is 23 years old for goodness sake, he was doing Berklee masterclasses at 20!) gets lambasted by people who:
A) Don't like Jazz
B) Watch 5 minutes of one program

If you don't like Jazz, don't comment unless you're actively appreciating the technical ability and hard work someone has put in. Letting people know you actively don't like the subject your being negative about doesn't really help the conversation. "God I hate driving......this <well spec'd, reasonably priced, popular> car is awful isn't it!".
If you do like Jazz, but don't like seeing how someone attempts to entertain a sold out Albert Hall audience, dig a little deeper:

These are bands that he has curated, who have come together to play his songs and arrangements, he's the band-leader. So yes, they are obviously contributing a lot, but they wouldn't be in that particular gig if it weren't for Jacob, he's creating jobs innit.

Si

• Like 1