Why become a member? ×

Jacob Collier Changing the rules of Music!!!

KingPrawn

Yes, bonkers talented, but I think he's in great danger of getting sucked into the easy listening "oooh, that sounds a bit like sophisticated jazz" MOR market............

Still, more talent in one fingernail there than ten of me !!  - so good luck to him.

By the way, there's stuff online of him playing with Rob Mullarkey that's worth checking out.

R91KekF.gif

Yes, I wuz jus' joshin', reelly..!

Thanks for the Masterclass video, which I'm 'ripping' right now so as to watch more fully, and several times over. He's doing much of what I've been doing for decades, but correctly, and with talent. Once I've assimilated half of one percent of it, I'll be very pleased. Good Stuff; the bloke's 'cool'. YEY7qB3.png

I don’t think he’s changing the rules, as has been mentioned, he’s building on a lot of ideas that have gone before. However!!!!....his interpretation of those ‘rules’ and theories is wholly individual, a pure joy to listen to him explain theory and musical ideas. I actually think he’s incredibly important for music at the moment, he’s completely invigorated an entire generation of theory lovers. 

I don’t agree that he is danger of ‘falling’ into easy listening, he’s way too in control of everything he creates. If he writes something ‘easy listening’, it’s pure choice, and that’s fine. I actually find it refreshing where someone writes music that is beautiful and relatively accessible, instead of writing what they are technically capable of all the time.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 5

Just watching this on BBC 4 now. I'll be honest and say that this is probably a little too intellectual for my tastes but I am giving it a go. So what do I think? Incredible talent. Total control of each of his instruments. Is clear about where he wants to take the listener on this journey. Its just that I'm not at all sure where we're going. And not really enjoying the trip either. There is also a fine line between stage presence and showing off. I still haven't decided on which side of the line Mr Collier falls.

• Like 2

Some bits dead boring, pretentious. Others very good, with a lot of energy. The real stars were the Orchestra. How Jules Buckley got them back under control after the geezers in nightshirts  went off on one is quite miraculous. 

Great arrangements but I’m afraid Collier’s voice isn’t quite up to his ambitions.

Edited by bassace

44 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Yuck.

More or less what I thought - the bass was all over the place in terms of timing, note length and randomness - reminded me of one of those "shreds" videos. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough for this type of music 🤔

16 hours ago, Delberthot said:

More or less what I thought - the bass was all over the place in terms of timing, note length and randomness - reminded me of one of those "shreds" videos. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough for this type of music 🤔

Maybe you should ease yourself in gently with some Phil Minton!

• Haha 1

I really dislike it, but then again, Quincy Jones (who is a genius) considers him to be one too. He also plays with guys like Herbie Hancock who consider him an equal.

Kid must be doing something right to be working with legends like that. 

Putting aside being diabetic for a moment...

I like a nice Forêt Noire gateau
I like a Victoria Sponge cake
I like chocolate éclairs
I like jelly and trifle

I'm less fond of a Forêt Noire, layered with a Victoria Sponge, stuffed with chocolate éclairs and topped with jelly and trifle. That's what I made of the BBC video, a rich series of elaborate compositions each vying for a place in a sonic sphere already pretty full. Yes, the bloke is multi-talented, and has a lot going for him, for which I would think he's worked darned hard; chapeau bas for that. Taken individually, in smallish doses, I can appreciate a lot of it, and even enjoy some, but in such a massive dose, I had to turn it off half-way through. I might go back to listen to a bit more in, say, five-minute sections, or however long the pieces might last, but then I'd let that settle on the stomach for a day or so before going back for another dose.
I would recommend, on a technical note, that he carries on with, or takes up, proper singing lessons from a good coach, as he definitely has the vocal capacity for doing some great stuff, but it's a bit more than 'hit'n'miss' to be comfortable. Trained to the same high standard as opera, lyric singers, he'd be a good deal more 'musical', I'd say.
In short, I'd suggest that the fellow is a living proof of the old adage: less is more. I found the quality and professionalism of the orchestra to be of great help in getting as much as I did from what I heard, and will likely go back for more, but not right now. [Burp :$ ...]

• Like 1

Just finished the Proms show. Absolutely incredible, great pacing with amazing dynamics, harmonically and rhythmically complex whilst also being beautifully sparse in places. 

Normally i’d take unbridge at people saying he plays it safe.....far from it, as mentioned, the harmony and rhythms that weave their way through his songs and arrangements are definitely not ‘safe’.......that said, they are safe because he’s utterly in control, nothing is an accident, everything is constructed perfectly! Yet he still manages to create the magic that other artists only sometimes stumble on by being ‘on the edge’.

If there were a couple of low-lights, it was Every Little Thing She Does and All Night Long, boring choices, but lots of amazing ideas within them to unpack and learn from!

Yeah, amazing on the whole. Hideaway (song number 2) was a particular highlight! Wish I could have been there!

Si

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sibob said:

Just finished the Proms show. Absolutely incredible...

+1 ^^ , no contest, but too much for me to take in in one sitting. I'll dive back in to enjoy the rest, but in shorter 'chunks'. His 'workshop' videos are fascinating too, but I need time for assimilation, as the sometimes dense content comes thick and fast, and I'm slow, and slowing further..! :$

Edited by Dad3353