Why become a member? ×

HB PB50 MODS

Basscabman

Just now, Basscabman said:

Which pickups mate? Don't wanna throw a fortune at It but may replace It. 

Even something like a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder can make a big difference - what sort of sound do you like? Vintage, modern, high gain, punchy?

• Like 1

Pleased to hear it. Mine just didn’t work, the tone control did nothing, the volume pot was either on 100% or 0%. Honestly can’t complain though considering the cost, and I’m very happy with the modifications I made. 

Look forward to seeing how yours turns out! 

3013FDBB-8F06-49EF-949F-8A8B9109D4E7.jpeg

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By the way, if you’re going for Jameson thud a set of flatwounds will help; although I’m sure you’re already on the case with that! 

My PB-50 wears Fender flatwounds permanently now; just fitting them improved the tone massively. I’d never used flats before and therefore didn’t want to shell out on La Bellas etc in case I didn’t get on with them; the Fenders were about £20 and feel/sound fantastic.

Just now, BrunoBass said:

By the way, if you’re going for Jameson thud a set of flatwounds will help; although I’m sure you’re already on the case with that! 

My PB-50 wears Fender flatwounds permanently now; just fitting them improved the tone massively. I’d never used flats before and therefore didn’t want to shell out on La Bellas etc in case I didn’t get on with them; the Fenders were about £20 and feel/sound fantastic.

I’ve just tried a set of fender flats for the first time - I have basses with la Bellas, Thomastiks, and quite a few Chromes on (my preference) - the Fenders are pretty much as good as the others - I have a preference for the feel of the Chromes - but otherwise they are just as good ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Basscabman said:

Flats went on it on day one, Just some old cheap ones I had laying around. Gonna get a set of decent ones soon! 

My first PB-50 got Status Hotwire tapes. 2nd one got TI's,4 year down the line I still think it was a great decision 😎

Went back to tapes for number 4,keeping options open for number 5 😉

Number 3 was a present for a pal's 40th

Edited by kodiakblair
update info
  • Like 1

They rarely line up perfectly. It's rare to see a jazz or PJ line up either,no matter the brand.

My last one had the bigger bridge and the centre of E string was 8mm from the centre of the E pickup pole. That was way too much,playing with fingers pulled the string out of the magnetic field.

Neither the Herrick nor the Bloodstone line up perfectly on their PB-50s,it's just a trade off between bridge,pickup placement and nut width.

You could get a plain cover for the pickup, out of sight / out of mind 👍

• Like 1

Gonna spray the neck this week with amber nitro, Just wondering If I'll need clear coat on top? If not how long will just the amber tint last? Will I need to do any sanding? Never done any spraying before so any help would be great. Got no Idea about sanding or buffing (If using a clear coat) 

Cheers all

Geoff

7 hours ago, Basscabman said:

Gonna spray the neck this week with amber nitro, Just wondering If I'll need clear coat on top? If not how long will just the amber tint last? Will I need to do any sanding? Never done any spraying before so any help would be great. Got no Idea about sanding or buffing (If using a clear coat) 

Cheers all

Geoff

It depends what kind of look you’re after. I originally planned to clear coat and polish mine but in the end I just applied the amber nitro and left it to age and wear naturally. I lightly sanded with very fine paper, 2000 grit I think, to smooth it. I’m happy with it.

94237DBA-C393-46B0-B738-8B3B8ABB4C29.jpeg

8411D41C-1F8A-4481-A5A4-10ABD01E5C4F.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1