Why become a member? ×

Perfecting the gig setup process

Stylon Pilson

For those who are in gigging bands, what are your personal strategies that you use when setting up for a gig, to make sure that the whole process is efficient and smooth, and the end result is tidy and correct? Do you set up the band's equipment in a certain sequence? Do you have any other non-obvious tips?

S.P.

Leave enough room for everyone. Sounds simple and obvious but I turned up late one night and the guys had already set up. . .  and left no space for the bass at all! They just looked blankly at me when I asked where they expected me to go, and then got a bit ratty when I told them all to move up to make room. What a bunch of idiots!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Leave enough room for everyone. Sounds simple and obvious but I turned up late one night and the guys had already set up. . .  and left no space for the bass at all! They just looked blankly at me when I asked where they expected me to go, and then got a bit ratty when I told them all to move up to make room. What a bunch of idiots!!

For some reason the rest of my band like to turn up about 3 hours before the gig. I have better things to do so they're always set up when I get there. I just shout at them. They probably think I'm an derrière! If the hat fits etc. 😄 😄 

If it’s a pub gig we like to arrive early and set up while it’s quiet. Drums first, then amps (we’re a three piece), then lights if we’re using them, then PA before mics and cables. This works well in reverse for tear down too.

The disadvantage of arriving early is that there’s a lot of time to kill. I don’t drink before or during a gig (I’m often driving anyway), and I don’t like hanging around pubs without a beer in my hand.

I've eventually got through to our drummer that I need some space. Previously, I'd arrive to find a postage stamp sized space for me, and an area the guitarist could do cartwheels in on the other side of the kit. The turning point seemed to be when he accepted that the kick drum wasn't in the middle of the kit and needed to be moved across. Other than that, we all set up and then wait for the singer to look blankly at us whilst holding various cables to be plugged into the PA. He's only been doing it for 8 years.

I'm quite fussy. We sort where the PA is going first, then POWER! Got fed up of everyone acting as individuals, everything being in place and nowhere to plug in. Now we operate a factory line approach. The singer and I sort the PA and power, the drummer puts his mat in place, lights/amps/ monitors go in. Cases are not allowed in the performance space, drives me nuts moving everything three times because the stage is cluttered. I've trained the drummer to assemble his kit off stage, we run the mic cables to him and the bass/guitar mics with the kit out of the way. He then slots his stuff into place whilst we do the last of the lights and we're ready. It's an 8 piece band and too many people helping actually slows us down. If I'm playing with another band that's got pro level players I always astonished at how quiet and fuss free the process is. 

• Like 3

If there's a PA needing set-up then I do my gear first - for the reason mentioned above, though this often results in PA cables being trailed all over my cables meaning I have to unplug and replug them, but them's the breaks - then I do PA stuff. I work quicker if I know the band and their set-up (or if, regrettably, I happen to know more about plugging in PAs than they do!). I avoid doing lights because I don't know what I'm doing and I have the arrogant opinion that I'm a musician not a stage hand!

The important stuff first, of course, so... The drum rug. Then (if it's not provided...) the mains cables and speaker runs for backline, lights and PA along back of stage. Our Youngest (the bassist...) and the singster take the drums out of their cases whilst I prepare the pedals and stands; the kit is quickly put in place (the stands and booms are preset...), so the cases are stashed, then the cabs rolled in and amps perched. I'll install cymbals, singer lays out mic stands and cables, PA stands and foldback installed (if not already there...), guitars and bass prepare their quarters with stands, pedal boards, leads and stuff and we're ready for a sound check. Typically drums, then bass, then drum'n'bass, guitar 2 then 1, mics, a short 'all together now, please' and relax.
Tear-down is roughly the reverse order, not forgetting the drum rug at the end. Once all is safely back in the truck, a mandatory look-around to spot whatever has been left behind (my drumming shoes, the E-Bow, a set list or two...). There's always something... 9_9

• Like 1

We're generally playing multi-band gigs so as the drummer it generally depends on what the soundman/promoter are forcing me to use, and how long it takes the previous guy to get off. If we're on our own I try to set up my kit while the front man clambers over me trying to put the backdrop up

• Haha 1

Yet another thread that makes me realise how special our band are. Everyone turns up about the same time, we have a quick drink, unload all the gear from our respective cars and just get on with it. Very quickly the stuff is setup and seems to be in a good enough place for people to be ok.

At the end of the night we take it all apart, put it in cars and go home.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I don't like to be early to a gig, if we're starting at 9pm I like to arrive at 8pm but in a previous band people arrived at 6:30pm and would setup leaving me no rom at all and my setup is small. Had years of it... now I'm in a smaller band so I get more space to move into but my 'tardiness' remains.

We arrive about 2 hours before 'showtime' unless it's a WMC where they dictate the time the band has to be set up by and when the first spot is to start.  Van with drums and PA is emptied into the venue first then each guy sorts their own stuff.  Drum placement first then respective sides for Guitar and Bass with Singist out front/central.  PA set up by singist, lights sorted by Bass and Guitar.  Aim for sound check within 45 minutes of first fill then 15 minutes for sound check which gives plenty of contingency time if there's a problem. 

Pack down is finely honed to try and get everything out and in the transport in less than 45 minutes.  Each member sorts their own stuff first, Guitar, Bass and Singist get their respective stuff out and in their transport.  Then all muck in to pack down PA, lights and help drummer get these and his kit back in the van.  Designated guy picks up payment and we're off..

Edited by martthebass

Thinking about it, the only problems I've ever had during set up have been with week-end warrior types.

Most of guys I play with turn up with small gear, set it up then move it into place when the drummer has finished. If someone mentions a problem the reply is usually, "OK, what do you need me to do?"

Edited by chris_b

I set up our PA and was getting fed up with the amount of cables, more from a post-gig packing up perspective where I invariably found everyone's cases and bags being dumped at the back over cables I wanted to pack away (because if anyone else packs them away then I'll be taking the knots out and finding out which ones have been damaged for hours the following morning).

I looked for small stage boxes/snakes but didn't find anything with returns, so I bought a 6 way snake and box from Thomann and swapped out two of the male box mounted sockets for females, and vice versa with the plugs at the other end (Backing vocals 1 and 2, keys and occasional guitar mic coming to the mixer, one main and one monitor going back).  I also bought some multicore cable and made a mini snake with one male and one female XLR on each end, for the singer's mic and monitor.

Now I can lay these out at the start of setting up, use short XLRs at the stage box end of the snake which are quicker and easier to coil up afterwards and don't get as tangled up if I get "help" packing up, and then just have the two snakes to pack up towards the end when most of the other packing up is done, rather than having up to 8 individual long cables to do.  Keeps it all much neater as well.

Most of the band arrive, erect back drop with lights ,the PA,  drum mat and drums, free for all on guitar amps, them mics.  Then stand and watch in amazement as the guitarist arrrives after all this is done and proceeds to widdle endless hard rock solos that have nothing to do with the band's normal set.

7 hours ago, AntLockyer said:

Yet another thread that makes me realise how special our band are. Everyone turns up about the same time, we have a quick drink, unload all the gear from our respective cars and just get on with it. Very quickly the stuff is setup and seems to be in a good enough place for people to be ok.

At the end of the night we take it all apart, put it in cars and go home.

Yep, pretty much in the same boat, and with a very considerate drummer (no, back off, nothing to see here...)

We always play on multi-band bills so usually it`s a case of plugging in amp-heads to existing cabs, then connecting instruments/pedals etc, drummer usually swapping snare, kick-pedal, cymbals, sometimes stands. You`d be amazed at how many people aren`t efficient at this, but then the copious amounts of lager that they`ve drunk may have something to do with it. We can do all of the setting up and level check everything in 15mins or so.