Why become a member? ×

Two of my current projects a P and a J...

prowla

3tOF9G3.jpg?1]

The white J is a roughly painted Squier body which needs re-doing, a very nice Mighty Mite fretless neck, Wilco machines & pickups and a nondescript bridge.

The Frankenstein P is a Status Graphite neck on a rather cheap but cool body (the pickguard overlays with the same picture), with Sperzel locking machines, a decent bridge, and probably a pair of Fender pickups I have in my parts box.

Cheers for that - feel free to fire off questions.

As far as progress goes, I seem to be on a go-slow at the moment and I've got some other projects on the go too (two Rickenfakers, a vintage Vox bass, a Strat, another Strat, an Ovation , and another Strat too!) (I really need to stop letting things catch my eye) so they could take a while...

That said, pretty much all I've got to do on on these two is find time to get my soldering iron out to get their electrics sorted and then put on strings and do their setup.

I seem to amass parts, on the basis I'll find something to go with them; if I see something I'll buy it.

The Status neck going with the budget Frankenstein body is ridiculous.

The Mighty Mite neck was from a work colleague a couple of years ago; I had it on an orange P-bass body for a while, but then I got a Mex maple neck and decided to swap that on. Then the white Jazz body came up here so I nabbed that.

This is the Vox; it was over-painted by a teenager, so I'm in the process of stripping it back.

FCWlKE4.jpg?1

Here's a Strat project.

9BI3lPh.jpg

A Tokai Strat.

spuFA1h.jpg

2 hours ago, prowla said:

This is the Vox; it was over-painted by a teenager, so I'm in the process of stripping it back.

FCWlKE4.jpg?1

The oaf has written the "F" word on the body and the headstock!  Can't we have him tracked down and shot slightly?

That's a worthy rescue job.  Are you going for a true resto job or a functional one?

VoxBass.png.3431312354c1aba7170144bddb1e0aaa.png

I'm not sure that this is original but it never deserved to become a Fender wannabe.

I'm envious.  I used to be like you only with radios, record and tape decks and stuff.  Folk would give me stuff that didn't work and that they had replaced.  I left all that behind when I left the area.  My reputation had become that of a collector which I am most definitely not so I was happy to escape from the  growing mountain of crappy old gear until I saw what I might have been playing with instead.

PS:  Now I suppose someone will tell me that the make-over is a replica of someone's signature instrument.  I'm sorry but even that's no excuse for that sort of behaviour.

Edited by SpondonBassed

19 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

The oaf has written the "F" word on the body and the headstock!  Can't we have him tracked down and shot slightly?

That's a worthy rescue job.  Are you going for a true resto job or a functional one?

I'm not sure that this is original but it never deserved to become a Fender wannabe.

I'm envious.  I used to be like you only with radios, record and tape decks and stuff.  Folk would give me stuff that didn't work and that they had replaced.  I left all that behind when I left the area.  My reputation had become that of a collector which I am most definitely not so I was happy to escape from the  growing mountain of crappy old gear until I saw what I might have been playing with instead.

PS:  Now I suppose someone will tell me that the make-over is a replica of someone's signature instrument.  I'm sorry but even that's no excuse for that sort of behaviour.

You never see the Fender Charles Mingus sig with the wobbley criss cross details? Mingus was famous for it...

19 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

You never see the Fender Charles Mingus sig with the wobbley criss cross details? Mingus was famous for it...

That's probably what prompted me to append my post.  I had a feeling I had seen something similar but I don't pay much attention to those sort of details unless it's of immediate relevance.  I'm not what you'd call a Fender fancier, more a sort of ferret fancier.

Vox, being British in origin, is my ferret of the month.

How do you pronounce Mingus in this case?  (sorry for the trick question)

28 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

28 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

How do you pronounce Mingus in this case?  (sorry for the trick question)

Unlikely to be Pie*s M*rg*n-us.  Apologies in advance to the gentleman in question.  But then I never understood why Menzies Campbell is pronounced Ming.

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I love the body shape of that Vox. Ideal for a build I have in mind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

The gold hand-painted Fender logo was a bit of a stretch, I have to say! 🙂

I'm stripping off the overpainting, but it's taking off the finish too (red leaning towards orange), so I'll have to redo that; it's not exactly the finest instrument every produced, so I'll be having a think about how far to take it.

10 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Just me that sees that and wants to paint it surf green or something - I can’t even play electric guitar! 

It was originally that cream colour, but the previous owner stripped it, varnished it, and then abandoned the project. I had been thinking of black, but a surf green would suit it, wouldn't it?

8 hours ago, Si600 said:

Unlikely to be Pie*s M*rg*n-us.  Apologies in advance to the gentleman in question.  But then I never understood why Menzies Campbell is pronounced Ming.

It probably sounds like that after a few glasses of Port.