Why become a member? ×

Jazz fretless signal boost needed

Subthumper

Hi folks. I mostly use an active P bass for most of my playing but now in a band where I'm using my tokai jazz a fair bit too. The problem is that the jazz is passive, and whilst it sounds great (fitted with Japanese fender pickups) it's tone and volume always suffers in comparison to the active p bass. I don't really want to put actives in it so can anyone recommend an on board signal booster that will fit the cavity without any routing?

Edited by Subthumper

I believe there are plenty of onboard preamps desinged work with passive pickups, though I'm not an authority on which ones are worth trying!

It did occur to me, however: one of the benefits of an active bass is that you can turn down the onboard volume without compromising the tone: is it worth turning down the active P to match the output of the passive Jazz?

37 minutes ago, Subthumper said:

Hi, the P bass has EMGs so it's not possible to adjust the level.

How about installing EMG J pickups which have the same output level?

Or you could buy a cheap EQ pedal to step in when you play the J bass. The beauty of which is that you can add some extra boost on those important MWAAAHHHHHH frequencies using an EQ pedal!

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2018 at 05:15, geoffbyrne said:

Easiest way is to use an outboard pre.  I have an MXR MX80+.  Works great.  As mentioned above an EQ pedal would also work as most have a volume boost.

The real answer is to splash the cash and fit a John East J-Retro Pre.  That'll fix it.

G.

IMHO - this is the best small pre-amp on the market = will address all your concerns ....

EWS-Tri-Logic-Bass-Preamp-3.jpg