Why become a member? ×

WAL MK II 5 string fretless bass NOW SOLD!!!
£4900

Eisen

P1090288.thumb.JPG.d08636f2d6b6a5de379c582f22c4ce49.JPG

Selling my WAL MK II 5 string fretless bass for 4.900,00 GBP or 5.500,00 Euro plus shipping

WAL MKII Fretless 5 String with Fretlines
Born 2009
Ebony Fretboard!
Walnut Facings
New DÀddario Strings
Original WAL Hiscox Case
The bass is in like new condition
The bass was checked by a high renown german luthier last week
If seriously interested pm me for detail photos
I sell this bass because I decided to just play 6 stringers and own 2 WAL MKIII 6ers.

The bass is in Germany

P1090275.thumb.JPG.f26435971c9e3cec35d22fa53fb86da1.JPG

P1090275.JPG

Edited by Eisen
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You won't notice the string spacing.  As soon as you start to play, it will feel just fine.  It is a Wal, period; and that's the string spacing they have. 

Never heard anyone say "well I'd love a Stradivarius Violin, but the strings are too close together"  🙂 

Seriously though, they are the most amazing fretless basses and despite the weight and the rather fat neck they are very comfortable to play.  I was at a Jazz session with mine the other week (a 4-string custom, but the string spacing's the same) and no other bass players turned up; I played for 2 hours with a 5 minute break to get a beer and ... well, just fine.

Kinda pricey though, and this one is premium price, I guess, due to A1 perfect condition and the much favoured walnut facing which, debatably, is the "perfect" wood for a fretless wal ... frankly, and I may get caned for saying it, I doubt the face wood makes much difference (though the walnut does look and feel fantastic).

Anyone who likes the sound but doubts the ergonomics should give it a try (money notwithstanding .. I've had mine 20 years and it cost much less back then!)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NickA said:

You won't notice the string spacing.  As soon as you start to play, it will feel just fine.  It is a Wal, period; and that's the string spacing they have. 

Never heard anyone say "well I'd love a Stradivarius Violin, but the strings are too close together"  🙂 

Seriously though, they are the most amazing fretless basses and despite the weight and the rather fat neck they are very comfortable to play.  I was at a Jazz session with mine the other week (a 4-string custom, but the string spacing's the same) and no other bass players turned up; I played for 2 hours with a 5 minute break to get a beer and ... well, just fine.

Kinda pricey though, and this one is premium price, I guess, due to A1 perfect condition and the much favoured walnut facing which, debatably, is the "perfect" wood for a fretless wal ... frankly, and I may get caned for saying it, I doubt the face wood makes much difference (though the walnut does look and feel fantastic).

Anyone who likes the sound but doubts the ergonomics should give it a try (money notwithstanding .. I've had mine 20 years and it cost much less back then!)

No offense but I prefer 19-20mm spacing on any bass.

PS:  Apart from owning several Wals AND an ACG (which shows great taste IMO) .... how do you find the ACG compares? 

I have a project bass with the East ACG-01 electronics in it and am mighty impressed - probably more so than with the Wal electronics (but the project bass has only puny Delano J pickups not the mighty 8 winding Wals, so will never be quite the same).

First: a WAL is a WAL! As Sinead sang "nothing copares to you"...If you have played, heard or dreamed of a WAL you`ll have to buy one because of the mojo. Maybe one can build a similar sounding bass but he can`t build the mojo.Period! But if you are looking for a bass that can compete with the WAL a ACG is the right adress. I have owned a Krell with the mentioned EQ 01 and ACG Single Coils which i had defrettet: man, that was Jaco on steroids! I had a 6string Recurve SC, same preamp, with ACG Humbuckers, i felt like Chet Atkins on this one  and i had a 5 string Recurve fretless with MULTICOIL PUs which was my starter drug. To make it short these were great basses in their own right and i regret selling them deeply ! But you know the story...you`ll have to sell one to buy another. To answer your question:  If you want to go all the way down the WAL road with Alan you will need Multicoil PUs and the DFM preamp and a maple neck!

Ps. I know i will get stoned to death for that

Pps. Please excuse bad english

• Haha 1