Why become a member? ×

Outer winding snapped when stringing

MrTea

I finally got round to putting on the Evah Pirazzis on my bass last night that I picked up off here a while ago and while I was winding the D around the peg it’s somehow snapped the outer winding near the peg. I’m not really sure how it’s happened as I don’t think the point it’s snapped was actually wrapped around the tuning peg at the point it snapped. 

Ive not tried these strings before so rewound it again and it seems to be holding and staying in tune. The point where the break in the outer winding is now wrapped around the peg but only on the last wind. 

Would I be insane to trust that this will hold? I’m obviously gutted as a perfectly good set of strings is potentially missing a D. I have a gig on Saturday so obviously don’t want to risk it breaking under pressure mid set. 

Whats the consensus here? Should I cut my losses, stick the old strings back on and wait until I have a little more cash to buy another D? Does anyone have a spare Evah Medium D that they’d like to sell on relatively cheap? I know could buy a single string but I’ve already overspent (as usual) this month and I’m also a little undecided as to whether I’d prefer the lighter tension.