Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan bass sound - Sons of Apollo

A.G.E.N.T.E.

9 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I think that's just the over tones from his usual drive sound. that bass is very grindy.

He's using a Helix these days - Line 6 modelled Billy's own Pearce Preamp to get the helix model dead right.

Thanks for you input fretmeister. There´s  some sort of  a "auauaua" going on.  😅 I lack better words to descrive it. Is that what you mean by overtones?

I think that's Billy's grindy tone mostly, but there might be a bit of extra modulation in there - maybe a bit of chorus or something.

I got one of the EBS Billy Sheehan Deluxe pedals a while back and it's great for that grindy tone - never had so much gain on tap, but somehow still controllable. This'd be my tip for a first pedal solution to try.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, A.G.E.N.T.E. said:

I´ve been listening to Sons of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony  album, and i was wondering what kind of effect is Billy Sheehan using along with his drive?  It makes the bass "roar". Is it  some king of envelope flter? Any ideas?

Actually I agree. Stick some decent cans on and you can hear modulation on the bass tone. At first, I thought it was Derek on keys playing in unison. He’s tighter than a tight thing playing and uses lots of mods on his keys tones... but if you listen to the bass notes at the very end there’s definitely a flange like effect going on in there. Interestingly I think I have the same on my Helix for one of the songs in one of my band sets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Higgie said:

Yeah. Definitely something extra happening. Reminds me of a more subtle version of Tim Commerford's bass sound on Cochise by Audioslave. Some kind of Phaser/Flanger might get you in the ball park...

Exactly what I thought about at first. "Cochise" bass tone is somewhat similar and Tim. C uses a Wah pedal together with his distortion pedal on that one.

As for Billy's tone in this one, I'd definitely shoot for a Wah first. I just tried it on my setup (using a VT Bass DI as the Overdrive and a MXR Envelope Filter) and it definitely ROARS like Sheehan on this track - not quite the same obviously but it's there. What seems essential is to:
a) either get a Wah pedal with a "Dry" feature so that it doesn't completely suck your low end (like the MXR one);
b) split your signal so that you get the Overdriven Wah sound while retaining the massive low end.

• Like 1