Why become a member? ×

I’m weird

Bridgehouse

I’m a Precision Guy. 

I have a few of them, I love the sound and I love the look. 

I tried Jazz bass after Jazz bass trying desperately to like one. I used to think it was the body shape and the thin nut.

But over the last few weeks I’ve played a few non-Jazz basses with thin nuts and odd body shapes.

What gives? Am I just weird?

Probably yes. 

I love Jazz basses, but I don’t particularly like the sound, I much prefer a P. I just can’t get on with the nut width. 

I also absolutely despise Fender basses with matching headstocks. It’s just wrong. 

So ignoring my inane ramblings it may be the offset body that you don’t like perhaps ?

1 minute ago, drlargepants said:

Probably yes. 

I love Jazz basses, but I don’t particularly like the sound, I much prefer a P. I just can’t get on with the nut width. 

I also absolutely despise Fender basses with matching headstocks. It’s just wrong. 

So ignoring my inane ramblings it may be the offset body that you don’t like perhaps ?

Could be. Dunno. Yes. Maybe. It might actually be the combination of the body shape and the thin neck. 

I have an ibanez with a 38mm nut and it’s great. Love it. Fairly regular body shape tho. 

My AVRI 74 Jazz has a huge neck front to back which combined with the narrow nut makes for a very different experience to a standard Jazz. 

I think I prefer deep necks as it really seems to remove the cramps and pain I was getting after long rehearsals. 

Might be worth trying one to satisfy curiosity if nothing else. 

Now if I could get one of those necks and stick it on an AVRI P I’d be a very happy man 😉

3 minutes ago, drlargepants said:

My AVRI 74 Jazz has a huge neck front to back which combined with the narrow nut makes for a very different experience to a standard Jazz. 

I think I prefer deep necks as it really seems to remove the cramps and pain I was getting after long rehearsals. 

Might be worth trying one to satisfy curiosity if nothing else. 

Now if I could get one of those necks and stick it on an AVRI P I’d be a very happy man 😉

I have an AVRI P (which I’m thinking of get rid of) and the neck is proper old school 60s - wide nut and really slim front to back. 

For me, it’s part of the feel - but I know what you mean, and feel is definitely important.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I have an AVRI P (which I’m thinking of get rid of) and the neck is proper old school 60s - wide nut and really slim front to back. 

For me, it’s part of the feel - but I know what you mean, and feel is definitely important.

Lol you bought that off me !

• Like 1

you just haven't played the right one.

I have been a P bass user since 1988. Love em, all shapes and sizes. I've had a '62 with its wide shallow neck, my '73 is chunky(ish) and I've had old Squiers and my Bravewood. All slightly different necks but all still lovely.

Now, 2 years ago I bought the Fender Flea bass. Finally a jazz bass that works for me.

I've never been a fan of the slim neck or the pickups, but the Flea packs a punch in all departments

Worth trying one (it's all I play in my pub rock band)

I can't get on with P basses for the life of me, I don't like the sound, I hate the neck and to top it off I think they're ugly. I do like Jazzes or at least some of them, mostly with Rosewood fretboards and no tort and most of all matching headstocks, I just love those. Thank God we're all different eh! :)

19 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Could be. Dunno. Yes. Maybe. It might actually be the combination of the body shape and the thin neck. 

4 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Just never really clicked at all. Maybe the right one is out there...

I had the exact problem, finding the body/neck balance peculiar and wondering why they put the thinner neck on the bigger body? 

I found the right Jazz two years ago kind of by accident, its a 2015 USA Std (though not all of these models feel like mine), and that’s after having owned an original 1964 and a fair few custom shops. They were all excellent basses but the balance and feel of my current Jazz is perfect for me and quite different to the majority. Though I fancy a LPB Jazz too, I doubt I’ll be selling my current one unless it’s equal in feel. 

Edited by Chiliwailer