Why become a member? ×

Warwick strings

tthiggins

I have been using 45 to 105 nickel round Warwick strings for a while on my jazz as they are cheap and I thought I'd give em a try... there great and the they last longer (especially the E ) than my usual faves dadarrio...

Has anyone else found this ?

• Like 1

I`ve swapped from Roto steel rounds to Warwick Red Label rounds and yes, I get about 2+ months out of them, rather than the up to a month on the Rotos. They sound very similar as well, and that`s the killer for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

What's the difference between Warwick Red's, Yellow's & Black's???

I've used Red's before, quite liked them, but not my favourites. Lasted well though. Much prefer the now defunct Fender 7350m's.

I can`t remember who it was but someone on here put that they started with Reds, went on to try Blacks and found that they preferred the Reds.

Just now, Lozz196 said:

I can`t remember who it was but someone on here put that they started with Reds, went on to try Blacks and found that they preferred the Reds.

I have not been able to detect a significant difference between Warwick Red Label Strings and Warwick Black Label Strings. However getting a 5-string Red Label set with a taper-wound low-B string is almost impossible, so I find it easier to buy Black Labels sets which all seem to come with taper-wound Bs. If I was playing a 4-sting bass Red Label would be fine.

I used to use Warwick reds and then blacks when I had a Warwick bass. I figured that Warwick would develop strings to suit their own basses, and I found them very good on my old streamer LX, lasted well too. The reds are excellent value.

Haven't ever tried them on a non-Warwick bass though.

8 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I used to use Warwick reds and then blacks when I had a Warwick bass. I figured that Warwick would develop strings to suit their own basses, and I found them very good on my old streamer LX, lasted well too. The reds are excellent value.

Haven't ever tried them on a non-Warwick bass though.

I use them on my fender jazz and they sound great..maybe a touch more gnarly than d'addario's which is good with me..

i recommend giving them a try

My original Warwick Thumb 89 came with 3 sets of Elite strings. I've tried the Warwick red labels on my Jazz bass but preferred the Fender nickels altho i've sinc went to D'addarios and then DR's and now back to D'addarios again.

The Warwick strings just didn't last too long for me before the tone went and i found them a bit more coarse on the fingers than other strings i had been using so i'm not really a fan.

Dave

• Like 1

I have a medium scale warwick rockbass corvette fiver which came with reds. However always a had a problem with fret buzz on the E_string only (so probably a duff string).

Ended up going for blacks, predominately because the Medium scale reds are very hard to find on sale (Even the blacks had to come from Germany). Found that as well as sorting out the E String buzz the blacks allowed me to get a lower action all round.  The blacks seem to have a finer outer winding, but both the reds and the blacks sound(ed) good to me.

• Like 1

I've been a "pro" for some years (meaning "made a lousy living playing music") and got 2 string endorsement deals, first one with Spain's Ernie Ball distributor, then with Magma (argentinian string maker, much better than Slinkys). After that I had strings left for some years. When they ran out I was looking for a cheap nickel alternative. I hated the Red Labels (steel) I had tried, but then I became aware of the existance of Red Label NICKEL strings (only available from thomann AFAIK) and they're GREAT, good tone, durable, lasting brightness and sustain, not coarse at all. And 12.50€ per 5 string set last time I checked. Many tend to hate on the sole mention of Red Labels but only 1 in every 1000 bassists knows there's the steel ones (the ones you see in every store, harsh on the fingers, short lasting) and the nickel ones, the good ones 😉

Edited by andruca

I'm definitely going to try these bad boys out. I used to have Legacys (actually somehow Rotosounds) but jumping up from £9.99 to £13.99 when even real Roto's are only £12.89 (what??) they can go whistle now.

I just wish Elixir Nano's weren't so ridiculously expensive for a bit of plastic coating. 

I've tried Warwick Black Label strings on a Fender Jazz and they were noticeably less bright than most other steel strings, and fairly low tension. I tried the Yellow Label strings on a fretless and they were pretty unremarkable but cheap.