Why become a member? ×

Pickup choices in the UK

Berserker

Hi, I'm currently building my first bass and am looking for advice on pickups. I couldn't see a pickup section so I thought this was the closest section. Please let me know if this should be somewhere else.

I've built several guitars and have changed pickups in almost every guitar I've ever had, so I'm pretty knowledgeable there, but bass pickups seem to be another kettle of fish. Most of the highly recommended brands (Bartolini, Nordstrand etc.) seem to be almost impossible to get hold of in the UK, and reviews of pickups in general are few and far between compare to guitar pickups.

I guess I'm looking for advice on what's available in the UK and what some of you guys recommend. I'm not limited by pickup shape as I'm building the bass, but I play a fair bit of rock and metal. I have a Yamaha TRBX605 and really like the active pre amp and dual humbuckers, but I also love the bridge pickup in my Sterling Sub5, so I was thinking a Musicman style pickup in the bridge, then something more versatile in the neck.

Thanks in advance!

23 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Do a search for Herrick Pickups, they`re very good and Martin is a member on here as well.

They look great... do you know if he does 5 string pups? Can't see them mentioned on the site.

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have two of the warman MM humbuckers in my fireman. They are great, very powerful output, I need to wind them down a bit so I don't have to readjust all my inputs!

13.2 k for the 8 pole MM

9 hours ago, fleabag said:

Try Warman ( UK )

Prices are amazing - i have one of their MM humbuckers and it's a peach

http://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/product-category/pickups/bass-guitar-pickups/

Interesting, I've seen them on eBay. I know they're generic re-branded chinese pickups so good to see some guys with positive experiences. 

On 18/07/2018 at 07:23, Berserker said:

Interesting, I've seen them on eBay. I know they're generic re-branded chinese pickups so good to see some guys with positive experiences. 

Josi is a top bloke.  I've used his stuff in upgrades.  His humbucker sized P90s are fantastic.

Frankly couldn't care less where they're made (or the price point), they're just so damn good.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 2