Why become a member? ×

Bridges - Do They Make a Difference

Linus27

On 16/07/2018 at 22:25, drTStingray said:

Musicman staff have stated on Talkbass that one of the reasons the bridges on the modern Cutlass and Caprice basses doesn't have the deep set side bolts is to assist with getting a more vintage sound. Similarly on the new Stingray Special models - so Musicman clearly believe the bridge design influences the sound, as an example. 

Or they clearly believe that it is what their potential market wants to hear ;)

(cynical, moi? nah... :D )

(and I say this as a big Stingray fan, the bass I play 99% of my gigs with... the Precision on my avatar was just a phase :p )

On 17/07/2018 at 09:15, Muzz said:

Oh, and anything that replaces the Gibson 3-point 'everything falls off when you remove the strings' bridge can't fail to be an improvement...

^ this is surely the best motivation for replacing a bridge. I've long since learned to keep my SG bass flat on its back while changing strings, but it's not always a practical option...

On 17/07/2018 at 18:16, Cato said:

I suspect it's all down to individual experience  (if that's the right word).

At one end of the spectrum you have people like guitarist Eric Johnson who can apparently hear minute differences in equipment and set up, to the extent that, according to some rig run downs, when recording he uses nickel plated jack plug guitar leads for ryhthym and gold plated for solo work.

I'm guessing he could probably hear significant differences between bridge types.

At the other end of the spectrum you have people like me. I have changed a couple of bridges out because I like rock solid units with no lateral movement in the saddles and no sharp edges.

There may possibly have been a change in the feel of the bass but I've never noticed a change in the tonal character of the instrument . 

I think its the placebo effect at work regarding the jack plugs, I would be amazed if their was even the tiniest difference in tone using nickel plated vs gold plated leads

• Like 1

This doesn’t change the tone or brightness, but an Alembic/Warwick-style bridge and embedded tailpiece, together with an angled headstock, sure makes a difference with a low B string. The defined angles between the nut and bridge and their respective anchor points helps to provide a proper bend at each end of the vibrating part of the string, although a tapered string probably makes as much of a difference. I’m not convinced that through body stringing is good for strings with the sharp angle from the saddle to the body, especially with vintage-style plate bridges. Extra mass in the bridge and different materials may affect the tone but in my experience, it’s quite marginal - different pickups and especially different strings have a far more pronounced effect. 

The idea behind the alembic bridge is not as much to do with tone but to keep as much of the energy you impart on the string as possible, in the string with less of that energy being dissipated and absorbed into the body of the instrument. Hence the use of a heavy dense brass construction for the  nut, tailpiece and the machined brass bridge on some models mounted onto a large heavy brass sustain block. This should help sustain. I think many things about bass design and construction affect how the bass guitar will sound and perform. Some are like the emperor's new clothes, some have extremely marginal effects and some have a big effect many are hard isolate individually and may not even be noticeable in the context of a gig. But a number of items in the right places will most likely be noticeable. Sustain is not the be all and end all of a great bass sound but I'd rather have it and learn to control it rather than have hardly any and try to find a way to get more. 

Here is a vintage bridge with the block mount.
alem_wd_tuna.jpg&sp=49f0f63e3bc9372fc3ed

A more modern Chrome plated version

rod12858_hardware.jpg&sp=66303c99ad23223

Edited by jazzyvee

On 16/07/2018 at 20:53, Linus27 said:

Just wondering if people think bridges make a difference or not.

All components other than the strap locks can make a difference to the sound of a bass. Depends how the instrument is made and what it's made out of. 

So bridges don't always make a difference to the sound, but can make a difference if there is a difference to be made. Some people will hear that difference and some won't.

Here you go: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/ken$20sadowsky$20bridge$20fundamental/alt.guitar.bass/wVRC_ZiYcj4/E45uRR7AdioJ 

I remember having read something about cheesy bass bridges. Don't take my word for it but I believe a bridge can make a difference. Even Roger Sadowsky switched from the Schaller 3D bridge to another design because it sounded better (to his ears I assume). The guys at Sadowsky know a thing or two about basses.

On 16/07/2018 at 20:53, Linus27 said:

Just wondering if people think bridges make a difference or not. I know a lot swear by changing Fender ones to other makes but personally I'm not convinced it really makes any difference. I've never had an issues with intonation or sustain on any of my basses, be it a 51 CIJ Precision with a basic Fender bridge, various Fender Jazz and Precision basses with basic bridges and more modern bridges, Stingray basses, Warwick Streamers and now my Mike Dirnt Precision with a Badass II. I've certainly never had any concerns or thought the sustain is a bit poor on any of my basses.

Interested to hear if others think it makes a difference or not.

Absolutely they can sound different. My old ‘73 P sounded totally different with the BBOT compared to the Schaller that replaced it. FWIW a preferred the sound of the BBOT, but it was bloody uncomfortable.

A lot depends on your ears though. Many people I know can’t tell my 2 basses apart sonically and to me they’re quite different. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

Not sure about the physics, but in my practical experience, the mass of a bridge makes a tangible difference to the tone, volume and sustain of both electric guitars and basses

The most demonstrable (and here the physics is maybe a little more intuitive - I guess inertia values?) is the humble tremolo block on a stratocaster.  Put a heavyweight one on instead of a cheap lightweight one - on the very same tremolo - and the sound comparison is like chalk and cheese.  I suspect the effect on a bass, again is quite discernable for anyone who's tried it, is from similar causes but is certainly less pronounced.

I don't understand why a high mass bridge with saddles in full contact with the baseplate (and therefore the body) is desirable. Surely a lighter bridge with small points of saddle contact (like a BBOT) will have more sustain, not less, as the heavy, full-contact bridge is going to absorb the vibration of the string into the bridge and body, no? Which is why the humble BBOT works well enough.

I bet a high percentage of Fenders used on all those hit records of the 60s and 70s had stock bridges on them. So I call BS on the whole concept! It's a ploy to distract you from your playing and spend yet more money on things you don't need! Thhhppp! :P

3 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

We could just bridge our differences and agree to meet in the middle....

Heh. Seriously though, its fine to replace a bridge if you like the look of a different one, or your current bridge is uncomfortable in some way. But if you're expecting any major improvement in tone, I think you may be disappointed. Lot of placebo effect involved in this kind of thing.

Strings are something else. Different strings can change the sound and playability of a bass out of all proportion to their cost. Whether or not it's an improvement is moot, of course...

23 minutes ago, discreet said:

Heh. Seriously though, its fine to replace a bridge if you like the look of a different one, or your current bridge is uncomfortable in some way. But if you're expecting any major improvement in tone, I think you may be disappointed. Lot of placebo effect involved in this kind of thing.

Strings are something else. Different strings can change the sound and playability of a bass out of all proportion to their cost. Whether or not it's an improvement is moot, of course...

Can’t say I disagree at all to be honest.

I have Hipshot Kickass saddles fitted to my Badass II on my '86 MIJ Fender P. It's class. I opted for brass saddle inserts. You move them sideways and they lock in place. They're also cut quite deep so you won't need as much of a shim as you would with a Badass. I sounds amazing and it's engineered really well with good materials.

• Like 1

Tonewise I've not found much difference in bridges - remember the material of the nut can also influence the sound from the strings. However, I did find using a high mass bridge over BBOT did give much greater sustain, also I found brass saddles also give better sustain.

On 17/07/2018 at 18:16, Cato said:

... Eric Johnson ... uses nickel plated jack plug guitar leads for ryhthym and gold plated for solo work. ...

I'd love to see that on a scope. 🙄

Edited by Jack
Meant to multiquote.
  • Haha 1