Why become a member? ×

Vintage V4 MN

Jonny Boots

I know there's a few others who've sung the praises of the Vintage V4s on here & I have 2 others but I just played my 1st gig with a new V4 MN & boy what a noise! I don't know what they've changed but it's a step up from the other 2. Bassist from another band used it too & couldn't stop singing it's praises.IMAG0293.thumb.jpg.b54dd941e0f5478cdf43767d9a3f8ab7.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bassix said:

I've had my eye on one of these, I saw somewhere they were a slimmer nut width, around 39mm- is that right?

Don`t look at the Tony Butler Sig Precision, Liam, it`s a cricket-bat-chunker of a neck. Which is nice (imo).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jassbass said:

Whats the difference between the new ones and the older ones?same pick ups? Thanks 

The body on the new ones is alder compared to poplar on the older ones & the pick ups are a different model. I dont know exactly how they are still Wilkinson but they are marked as WOBP compared to WBP the overall sound is just much better.

Not played one of those. And boy, that does look good, in Fiesta Red :)
I played one of the earlier models of fretless Jazz type basses. I was impressed with that for the money
So if they've been making improvements, I want to try one :o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc S said:

Not played one of those. And boy, that does look good, in Fiesta Red :)
I played one of the earlier models of fretless Jazz type basses. I was impressed with that for the money
So if they've been making improvements, I want to try one :o

Try one you won't regret it.

5 hours ago, Jonny Boots said:

The body on the new ones is alder compared to poplar on the older ones & the pick ups are a different model. I dont know exactly how they are still Wilkinson but they are marked as WOBP compared to WBP the overall sound is just much better.

I heard from the voices in my head that even the major factories were being sold fakey-lookey-likey Wilkinson hardware from deep within the Empire of the Dragon, so the real Wilkinson's had to redesign all their stuff. 

The voices lie, mind.

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

I heard from the voices in my head that even the major factories were being sold fakey-lookey-likey Wilkinson hardware from deep within the Empire of the Dragon, so the real Wilkinson's had to redesign all their stuff. 

The voices lie, mind.

Haha, the voices may be right I don't know what they've done or why but it's a great improvement.

Lovely basses, I've owned;

1 x vintage white P bass

2 x fretless Jaco J bass

1 x roadworn P bass

each one I've sold and, aside from the white P, I've regretted selling. Would love the roadworn one back, that brute was a slim-necked whore of a bass.

• Like 1

Well I used my Vintage Tony Butler Sig V4 this eve with the band for the first time and to say I`m pleased would be an understatement. I`d expected it to be ok, but it by far surpasses that. So much so that not only will I keep it as a backup as originally intended I`m going to use it on gigs where we fly, to save flying with a US Precision. Now I wouldn`t do that/gig with a bass I wasn`t comfortable with, I`d prefer to fly with the more expensive one and take the risk, but this eve has shown me that the V4 is more than suitable for my needs. Playability is great, and the sound is spot-on what I want.

• Like 1