Why become a member? ×

Small cab solutions

martthebass

I've been using my current set up of a MB LM3 and 2 x NY121 cabs for going on 5 years now.  Very happy with the sound, flexibility and stage footprint but it's getting time to think about a change (partly for tax reasons!).  Thing is, to keep the weekend peace, I let SWIMBO have the 4x4 and I now use the VW Polo for gig journeys (up to 50 miles each way); the current cabs fit ok in the boot and all is good but I'm now familiar with what else is out there that would be equally suitable.

Preferences would be for lightweight stuff, a 2 cab solution (each 8 OHms) and happy with 5-800W heads.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by martthebass

Reclaim the 4x4 Mart, buy SVT all valve head and matching 8x10, job done! 😄

Just wondering why you've specified two 4 ohm cabs, as this may really limit your options when buying a head that will work into 2 ohms comfortably?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, casapete said:

Reclaim the 4x4 Mart, buy SVT all valve head and matching 8x10, job done! 😄

Just wondering why you've specified two 4 ohm cabs, as this may really limit your options when buying a head that will work into 2 ohms comfortably?

Ooops, my bad Pete, shouldn't do these things at work eh?  Looking for 2 x 8 OHm cabs......(original post edited). 

I`d look at the Ashdown RM range - the amps are great, def the best class D amps I`ve used. The cabs are nice too, light, sound very nice and the 1x12s are about the same sort of size as the NY121s. The 2x10 & 1x15 of the RM range are bigger but not that much. Plenty to choose from and the RM range packs a punch. And to top it all off very reasonably priced as well.

The NY121 is about the smallest 12" cab out there IME. The Markbass STD121HR is a really nice alternative but slightly bigger (but lighter I believe, mine is 27lbs).

One of those and a Quilter BB800 would do the majority of gigs that the 2 NY121's would do and can be tilted back for better monitoring. I imagine 2 would be excellent.

The Barefaced One10's sound nice (although quite dark) but I found 2 to be nowhere near as loud as 2 x NY121's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

How much "tax reasons"? Would it stretch to a Bergantino B|amp and a couple of HDN112's? 

....if I was buying new, in a word, no. Very nice though, but at £5k for the rig I’d want it to pack itself into the car.

Edited by martthebass

Fearless F112 and a head that can push out decent power at 8 ohms. Don’t be fooled that it’s “only one 12 inch speaker cab”.

I went with a Quilter bass block 800 because I like the no nonesense design and focus on the power section. ...and it’s cheap! But with so many 700w+ micro heads out there, pick the one you like the best.

• Like 1