Why become a member? ×

Advice or opinions please - Ashdown ABM 600 EVO IV

nosnowking

17 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I usually only gig with a single bass so once the amp is set I don't need to adjust other than for volume or room effects.

It's interesting that you comment earlier that this is the only head where you have to make major (other than input level?) adjustments between your pb and sr basses. I would see this as an indication that the ABM is giving a more accurate representation of both basses rather than imposing the amps sound. The one control that really needs to be set correctly is the pre shape button which I have off (pushed in).

Yes, similar to the Trace pre-shape 1 (hugely scooped). I'm sure that they're great amps and while I've not had the opportunity to use it in a live situation (nor will I for the foreseeable) but my gut instinct is that it's not for me. I took a punt on it as it was cheap so hey ho, at least I've tried it. 

I own an ABM500 EVO, and last week rehearsed with an ABM600 EVO IV. I was an astonishing difference. I love my 1999 EVO but the IV was on another level. If I hadn’t just signed up to the 2019 gear challenge @Sibob has presented us with then I’d be having serious wallet trouble around now!

• Haha 1

Just now, Merton said:

I own an ABM500 EVO, and last week rehearsed with an ABM600 EVO IV. I was an astonishing difference. I love my 1999 EVO but the IV was on another level. If I hadn’t just signed up to the 2019 gear challenge @Sibob has presented us with then I’d be having serious wallet trouble around now!

I could never get on with the older ABM series but that ABM600 EVO4 is a different beast. Apparently it has a different power amp and thats what makes a big difference. I'd cheerfully have another one.

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

I could never get on with the older ABM series but that ABM600 EVO4 is a different beast. Apparently it has a different power amp and thats what makes a big difference. I'd cheerfully have another one.

Yup. The valve stage has also had a big tweak, it gets more grit and overdrive than the older series. I thought it was a wonderful amp when I used it last week!

As much as I quite liked it, I eventually decided that for me the ABM600 wasn’t as good as the ABM1000 and wasn’t different enough to the original model RM800 either, so I moved it on.

I’d describe the ABM600 (and indeed the RM800) as a really solid and loud amp, but when asked about the ABM1000 I tend to start using pseudo-made-up abstract terms and soon realise I’m actually describing how it feels to play rather than how it sounds. 🙂 

• 1 year later...
On 04/01/2019 at 18:04, Lozz196 said:

Well for me to keep an amp for 2 years and not even think of offloading it, well it means I like it.

Now that I’m no longer in a band I’m offloading mine. I have a buyer so plugged it all in today to give it a workout and was reminded just how good the ABM600 is. I’ll miss it, but hey, that’s life.