Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some funk!

PatrickJ

I've been getting a little board of late with the classic and alternative rock covers I've been playing over the past few years.

I've been enjoying more funk influenced music in recent weeks but it's a genre I know very little about.

Could I get some recommendations on some classic and modern funk songs ?  I would love to start learning some over the summer.

Also any particular recommendations on gear and setups for funk playing would be appreciated!

Thanks

You want to get yourself one of those envelope filters.

Then step aboard the Mothership and suck up all that is Funkadelic, Parliament, George Clinton, Bootsy...

When you come back down to earth, nothing will ever be the same again😎.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chris_b said:

There are 2 Funk threads on BC containing just about everything you need to know.

Can you share the link for the thread?  It didn't come up when I previously searched the forum for funk content.  Thanks

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'm going through those topics to update 'em so that the links work again (but not the YouTube embedding...). I'll finish 'em off over the next couple of days, I expect.

(All the more praiseworthy as I'm really not a fan of funk in general ^_^ ...)

Edit: Slight correction: One of those links above takes us to a topic of some sixty-five (count 'em..!) pages. I'm beggared if I'm going through that lot, post after post, page after page, so the links will stay broken, I'm afraid. Sorry, 'n all that, but I wouldn't even do that for a Grateful Dead topic, so funk..? No chance. 9_9

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Stu-khag said:

Glad to see this is still being shown. I worked on it. A few people on here hated it but meh. We were so close to interviewing sly ...

one for the tenuous claim to fame thread, but I was once in a band, with a vocalist whose father was friends with Sly.

12 hours ago, tthiggins said:

Well I'm sure it's been shared before but possibly the stankiest stone cold hot funk masterpiece of all time is this 

Love this; I've enjoyed all of the Sly & Family Stone songs I've seen recommended thus far.

• Like 1