Why become a member? ×

Another D-class problem : want to replace my DB 751

nonkel26

5 hours ago, Muzz said:

All subjective and completely valid, but in this case, I'd take the OP's original db751 over any of those options, given that the two options you found more pleasing are pretty much as big/heavy as the db751...it's all a compromise, in the end. And, I have to say, in at least 75% of the gigs I play, a completely academic exercise...but then that's the wacky world of gigging all over 😕😀

The OP was considering a lighter weight setup, what my example intends to show is the fact that under high volumes an AB class power section sounds different to a D class with the same preamp section. No more, no less.

I just have a feeling that there isn't a sub £1000 amp out there that will match the DB751 sonically. Lighter yes, perhaps even more tonally flexible, but if it sounds the way you want then anything else could be a backward step. It's really easy to advise others to spend their hard earned trying our own personal favourite but the OP is already at the top end of what's out there.

If weight only and not expense was the criteria the only amp I would suggest purely on other people's reports and reputation would be a Bergantino B|Amp with and programmed for matching Bergantino Reference series cabs of the OPs choice.

• Like 1

Demeter or Vanderkley. I favour Demeter - light uber powerful and beautifully warm and musical. Valve pre amp through an isolation transformer into the class D. Works magic.

Edited by pmjos
addition.