Why become a member? ×

What the **** is this?

EBS_freak

4 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I take it you not seen Mononeon before? Started life as Polyneon. I reckon he's defo the one that is pushing boundaries at the moment... defo one to watch. Last bass player with Prince too. No small accolade.

I... Er... it’s... I just... well.

😶

15 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

That’s got some great technique, control and tempo in it. The level of skill required to do what he is doing consistently must be really high. 

I actually don’t find that too bad at all - in fact, I’d go so far as to say if I was passing by a performance of this at a festival I would stay and hear it out and like it. 

The sock on the headstock tho....?!

Okay, if we're pushing boundaries here, I'm in. I've just finished a slice of marmalade on toast and invented macrotonal playing. It's like the other thing, but a bit bigger. 

It's the future.

1 minute ago, leschirons said:

Okay, if we're pushing boundaries here, I'm in. I've just finished a slice of marmalade on toast and invented macrotonal playing. It's like the other thing, but a bit bigger. 

It's the future.

Sock? Or full on stockings?

14 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I just PMed this but probably worth sharing... but this is what fire looks like. Mastery of the whammy too. Face melting stuff.

He is an incredible player. I like his colourful socks too. Hope they’re clean when he puts them on.

8 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Sock? Or full on stockings?

How wrong can you be? Actually, Im using a cut down Cillit bang bathroom mould bottle and, it appears to be the gateway to maxitonal, minitonal and possibly nanotonal intervals which in the latter case, may possibly lead to playing no notes at all and just looking at it.

2 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Don’t care how it sounds - I just want to see the video..

Just for the anecdote...

More years ago than I care to remember (even if I could :$ ...), I was an active member of the organising team for our local summer festival (Les Trois Elephants; look it up..?). Ideas for a 'theme' were always in discussion over the winter hiatus; one suggestion I made seemed to strike a note with the others. I had contacts, from a previous job, with purveyors of second-hand pianos in the North of England. They had (and still have...) entire floors of a very large building, heaving with pianos of all sorts, many of which have no value as instruments (wooden frames, you see...), to be had for a song and a penny. My idea was to bring over to France a Tautliner full of pianos (about fifty or so...), build a pyramid as part of the festival decor, and, at a suitable moment, set it alight. Stuffed with adequate preparation (ping-pong balls stuck in the strings, rubber bands, a bit of pyrotechnics...), the blaze would 'play' itself; it was to be recorded, both from outside and from a couple of sacrificial mic's inside.
The budget was accorded (modest enough; the truck cost more than the joannas...), and a few days before the festival, they were delivered. That's when it all went wrong. Seeing these pianos, half of the team, and more onlookers once they heard the news, decided that these 'instruments' were in too good a state, and would grace their homes. Once a distribution of the better looking furniture (for that's what they're classed as, really...) had taken place, there were so few pianos left, it was not worth piling 'em up..! The remaining pieces were scattered around the festival site as ornaments, but the Biggest Blaze of Pianos in the World did not take place.
A shame, really, as I could otherwise have played you the resulting cacophony. I'd especially ordered (and paid extra for...) a player piano, which was to be the summit of the edifice, playing away by itself until things go too hot. Never mind; at least I tried. The festival was, despite not having this show-piece, a great success, and for several more years since, including this year. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Because both the Surshingar and MonoNeon are in embedded players and are on the same page, you can (in Chrome at least) play both at once. Sort of like the BC equivalent of objets trouvés? I suggest only one MonoNeon at a time with the Surshigar, but what do I know?

41 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

The Sarod piece looks to be somewhat edited. A raga - even a short one - would normally be longer than 4 minutes. A long one could easily be an hour or more.

Contractually they were obliged to edit out the good stuff. -_-

:lol:

So just caught up on the sarod stuff. There's bits that I can appreciate... for example, the skill of getting the intonation spot on and build up in tempo and feeling... but as far as tunes go, I don't think I will remember it down the line... but there was definitely some bits that made my ears prick up a little. I'm not sure I could dig on it for an hour though.

Maybe it's a lot to with the instrument in question too. Alot of improv bass leaves me cold too... probably because a lot of the time it would sound a lot better on the guitar.

I'm trying... but I'm still tempted to lob this kinda stuff into room 101 along with the inappropriate use of fx pedals. Maybe crazy improv with inappropriate use of fx pedals is the complete nemesis. Anybody care to share any examples? And furthermore, find something that bucks the trend? Actually, add into the mix, the overuse of technique to the determent of the music actually being played.

Just a couple of things on the Sarod thing:

1. Although improvisation is a major feature of the style, the music is actually quite formalised in structure. The way it goes through the sections is pretty obvious even from that short extract. Not really free improv in the strict sense; more akin to the interminable guitar solos you often used to get in prog rock (but less boring, obviously 9_9);

2. Scales in Indian music are incredibly complex. I'm a bit out of touch with this stuff from not having studied it for probably 30 years so I'll need to mug up a bit; in the meantime, this Wikipedia article should give you a bit of an insight. It's a bit loose in places, but does go through the structural elements pretty well I think.