Why become a member? ×

What the **** is this?

EBS_freak

I was quite enjoying it until about 1’42.  Reminded me then of a chap I saw on Southampton station yesterday who suddnly turned  to everyone in the cafe and randomly laughed at the top of his voice in a possessed sort of way.

Also reminded me of my first ever jazz gig I went to- Barry Guy’s London Jazz Composers orchestra.  It was two hours of big band music in this sort of style.  It had Evan Parker on sax who does circular breathing Andy just plays hemi-Demi-semi quavers for 20 minutes at a time.

Clever, but not my sort of thing I’m afraid!

40 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Fixed 😀

Hey at least your command of the English language is better than your taste in music.

Well done.

ps both words are acceptable in this instance. You may have a preference but hey we can't all like the same stuff - as proven in this thread.

Edited by EBS_freak

I ended up watching the first opus. The double bass player seems to know what he is doing, he is holding his German bow the right way and playing each note in tune, must have learnt music at some time. The yelling guy reminds me of this :

The thing with anything like this is that some only give it the amount of time for then to feel uncomfortable....then turn it off.

The trick is, even if you don’t like it, to immerse yourself in it for longer, to give yourself the chance of ‘getting it’, lots of this kind of music is largely drones and meditative in nature, so requires a bit of context.....not 57 seconds against he context of the ‘normal’ you were doing before.

Not saying that everyone will like it,  obviously not, but go for much longer than you feel comfortable! 

A few people have said, ‘oh that made me feel uncomfortable’ etc, but that just means it did it’s job of illiciting an emotional response....so clearly it’s doing something ‘right’ :)

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Then please judge me. Also please allow me to confirm that you just don't get it. Now there's no shame in not getting it, of course, but some others do get it. I found it deeply satisfying, and very musical indeed. Had never heard about these guys, but will def. try to check them out. Thanks for posting.

Phil Minton is an interesting bloke. Very good trumpeter, and  baritone singer - you can hear him in more conventional mode with the Mike Westbrook band, for example on his settings of Blake:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

That's fine, I'm sure I'll lose no sleep as to what you think about me or what I don't get.

I'm relieved to read that you will not lose sleep over me not judging you. Sadly, I on the other hand will lose a lot of sleep over having been judged by the EBS_freak himself. 😁

7 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Well - firstly - watching these two middle aged guys pulling faces is not really great to look at, so maybe best just listened to.

So,  I tried this, and it did make a bit more sense - a bit.  It's just a long and rambling musical journey, and some of the vocalisations are quite impressive.

But did I like it?  Errr - no.

But I'll try anything once, so thanks to OP  👌

What?  Even in***t and morris dancing?????

35 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Well I get that it's an acquired taste but, honestly, what's the problem?

Try Fred Frith, Evan Parker, Lol Coxhill...

In fairness, the visuals are a bit unappealing, but hey!

I remember seeing Fred Frith and Phil Minton playing together back in the late seventies, when the Mike Westbrook band and Henry Cow played a joint gig at the Roundhouse, Camden in a benefit for the Communist Party of Great Britain. They played some of the Blake material as in the above clip - it was a great gig. I recall that there was an older member of the party there who had to give a brief speech of thanks to the musicians and audience for the support. My  impression at the time was that he was clearly out of his depth and baffled by some of the more avant-garde elements of the performance and made some stumbling remarks about how good it was to see "young people taking an interest in politics" or some such. Happy days.

Lol Coxhill is great too - seen him a few times, though many years ago. His album "Fleas in Custard" is a classic of the genre. Evan Parker I find quite hard going, though.

Edited by Earbrass

Reminds me of my pet budgie Rocky , bless her gone but not forgotten , I don't think  she could play double bass , but oh boy could she hold her own with that bell in her cage and hold a note , each to their own 🤔

• Haha 1

Very "look at me I'm so hyper intelligent and above it all and express myself in a way that only the very few also hyper intelligent arty people would get". That's a  meeeowwwww from me Simon!

Thats what I got out of it anyway. Best of luck to em but not something that inspires me to even want to try and understand the artyness of it. Its simply way beyond my understanding. I dont even want to understand it.

By comparison I liked the Cradle of Filth. Not normally my cup of tea but side by side the Cradle wins my ears. I get the Cradles angle completely and I'm sure there's a humour side to it too? Good players too. If that's your bag.

32 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

if anyone's interested you can buy their album, Ductis Pneumatic, on Discogs for just over 13 of your English pounds. Think of it as an investment 😀

So my guess was good, it's written music. That said, I've been to lots of modern composers concerts, mainly influenced by Pierre Boulez, and some were harder to listen to than this.

• Like 1