Why become a member? ×

Thinking of starting up a new band....

Mickyk

50 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

A mate and I are thinking about a new band,and we are going for controversy name wise ,We are going to call ourselves Free Tommy.....GOOD NAME THEN CHAPS DO YOU THINK..

Who tribute or something more controversial.......😟?

Well the Sex Pistols and other bands sang about Right Wing politics in general and did very well on it,so we thought we would jump into it,and makes some songs about the current political situation,or do people think it would be too controversial, Free Tommy is the name.

1 hour ago, Mickyk said:

Well the Sex Pistols and other bands sang about Right Wing politics in general and did very well on it,so we thought we would jump into it,and makes some songs about the current political situation,or do people think it would be too controversial, Free Tommy is the name.

Apart from the fact that - if anything - the Pistols purportedly embraced nihilism and anarchy (while MacLaren raked in the cash), the main objections would seem to me to be (i) the probability that no promoter would book you for fear of a riot kicking off (ii) you'd probably have to change your home address on a weekly basis (iii) thousands of people would pile into your social media platform and try to get you sacked from your day job (iv) some hard-core EDL lads might turn up to any gig you might somehow mount and they're actually fairly f**king scary so when you tell them you're mainly doing it for the controversy value they might express their displeasure at the perceived levity with which you might seem to be approaching their cause by administering at best a severe talking-to and at worst a savage physical beating. Shortly after which the Antifa might stroll by and give what's left of your band a serious kicking.

So, yes, great idea.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 5

Ah, Tommy Robinson. Took a quick Google to work out what you were on about.

This story like, so many, is a passing thing, so it's only going to be briefly relevant. The question is whether you genuinely support the right wing politics he espouses, what with having founded the England Defense League, and whatnot. If you do, then you are well within your rights to express your allegience through your music, as many bands have before.

If you don't agree with his viewpoint, but are hoping that using a controversial topic for the theme of a band will 'get you there', rather than look like a savvy business move it smacks more of desperation and clutching at straws, not to mention a pretty cynical sellout. Moreover, rather than net you the kind of success the Pistols achieved (and I'd suggest they were presenting something more nihilistic and anarchistic than right-wing anyway) it would likely guarantee you the kind of marginalisation that many other NS, racist, and bigotted bands have been served.

While every viewpoint is valid, you already know you are flirting with a very unpopular one. There may be avid support in some circles, but the majority of folks will find it tasteless, and very likely not give it the time of day, just like all the other right-wing bands out there. IMO, of course.

Edited by Jus Lukin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You call your band what you want. I doubt it will be controversial, you will probably get booked for a few EDL or UKIP events, and excluded from normal pubs, but I presume there is some money in there.

That's a good point actually, what's the market like for far right gigs? The money they don't spent on well fitting clothes, soap and sun tan lotion could be lining our pockets!

13 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

That's a good point actually, what's the market like for far right gigs? The money they don't spent on well fitting clothes, soap and sun tan lotion could be lining our pockets!

Nah... stinky poo tattoos eat into the benefits a bit. 😂

Do you get to wear Black Shirts? And little silver double lightning bolts? Cos that's really, like, cool. All the birds go for that look. And high black leather boots. All shiny and stuff. But you need loads and loads of, like, deodorant and stuff, cos people don't half niff a bit when you keep sticking your right hand up in the air all the time. 

But just as long as there's something brainless to shout all the time, right?

'Ere, I 'ad that Max Mosley in the back of my cab once ...

• Haha 3

• Rich locked this topic