Why become a member? ×

SOLD Bolin NS5
£1100

Godfrey

This Ned Steinberger designed 5 string bass was handmade by John Bolin Guitars in Boise, Idaho, USA and imported directly by me. It was a limited production run and they are rare in the UK. Solid Alder body with lovely quilted Maple top. Maple neck with 35 inch scale Ebony fingerboard. Open headstock design with Sperzel locking tuners. EMG double coil pickup plus Fishman under bridge piezo pickup. Active with Fishman 18v preamp (2 x 9v batteries). Good all round condition with just a few minor marks around the edges (see pictures). Comes with strap and new Gator G-PG padded bag.

Bass Guitar Magazine said “When spending this kind of money, this is the sort of quality you would expect.” “Excellent detailing, everything on this bass feels right.” “Solid, it feels like a hand built instrument should.” “Simply the best fingerstyle sound of any bass I have ever played: warm, round, smooth and sensual.” “Whether on a stand at home or performing on stage, this bass will grab people’s attention, a beautiful bass.” “Total score 96/100 – Truly one of the nicest instruments I have seen and played for a long time. Poised and beautiful with a wicked sound.”

P1020299.JPG

P1020301.JPG

P1020302.JPG

P1020304.JPG

P1020306.JPG

P1020307.JPG

P1020308.JPG

P1020310.JPG

P1020311.JPG

Edited by Godfrey

I don't think I'm a competent enough player to do it justice with sound files. I think the expert opinion of the Bass Guitar Magazine reviewer can be relied upon as a fair description.

(I do have the magazine copy with that article which will come to whoever buys the bass)

Edited by Godfrey

These are beautiful instruments. I was at an event as a punter and an artist friend (who's album I had played on) asked if I'd accompany his solo set. He'd already made equipment enquiries before he asked and the stage manager, who's band were playing later lent me his Bolin. It was the piezo only version and the sound was beautiful... so easy to play.

• 2 years later...