Why become a member? ×

What makes this song great?

Happy Jack

54 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Conclusive evidence, if it were required, that the right Rickenbacker has a unique and desirable sound.

Chris Squire’s Rickenbacker sound was a major influence on me, unfortunately by the time I was first involved in bands that influence had been obscured by punk and dub a little later I realised Chris Squire’s position had been usurped by JJ Burnel.

• Haha 1

Cripes Jack - you've just made my day!  I've been a regular Yes listener for 45 yrs too and Roundabout is one of my favourites.  That was 20-odd minutes of synchronised smiling between me and Rick Beato - it just doesn't get any better ☺️☺️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You and me both. Me to the extent that by the time it was actually gigging with the first of my bands I had a white Rickenbacker which turned out ultimately to be THE bass I wish I hadn’t sold ☹️. Love JJ as well by the way, but The Stranglers weren’t enough to drag me away from Rush at the time. 🖐️ I know, I know!

I was about to be disparaging about Rush but that’s because I was disparaging about Rush when I was a teenager. Three things about that...

a) I could be a bit of a tnuc, especially about music, when I was a teen and, far more importantly...

b) I have never listened to a Rush album or even a Rush track in my life.

...then I was going to say everyone I knew who liked Rush back when I was young was a silly billy but, on reflection, it turns out that...

c) everyone I knew who liked Rush were thoroughly decent folk and, actually, I was the silly billy.

...food for thought, there.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Haha 1

Dammit - that was fascinating.   Beato is a superb musician himself. That Yes vid was mesmerising so much i went and found Beato dissecting Kid Charlemagne and watched him tackle the brilliant and unique Larry Carlton solo. Utterly engaging

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

Dammit - that was fascinating.   Beato is a superb musician himself. That Yes vid was mesmerising so much i went and found Beato dissecting Kid Charlemagne and watched him tackle the brilliant and unique Larry Carlton solo. Utterly engaging

This is exactly where I went next...

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Cripes Jack - you've just made my day!  I've been a regular Yes listener for 45 yrs too and Roundabout is one of my favourites.  That was 20-odd minutes of synchronised smiling between me and Rick Beato - it just doesn't get any better ☺️☺️

I was grinning ear to ear.

• Like 1