Why become a member? ×

Are all basses a bit dead around the 5th fret E string?

Phil_T

This issue is really bugging me at the moment. I've got two basses that both have this issue to some extent., my yamaha BB414 is not too bad but on my MIM precision it's very noticeable - the open E rings out nicely but anywhere above the 3rd fret up to the 7th sounds quite hollow with a nastly metallic overtone. I've just been to try another precision and that had the same problem, are they all like that?

I think I may hear it more than some people because I play with a bright tone through fairly bright amp so it tends to be accentuated, particularly with fresh strings.

Edited by Phil_T

Not sure, on my Precisions these frets are fine and I also use a bright tone so it may be something to do with set up - try raising the saddles at the bridge half a turn, having a slightly higher action can make a lot of difference to the notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It could be a set-up issue but I've tried everything I can think of - new strings, tweaked the truss rod, adjusted the saddles - but it's always there like it's a fundamental characterstic of the bass. If what you're telling me is that there's plenty of basses out there that don't have this issue then i'll make an effort to go and try a few more that are for sale locally

I'd bet on it being a set up issue and no way -  a buy a new bass issue!

Neck - trussrod - frets - nut - bridge or even strings, that's all 😎

or it could even be just the way the E string is fitted 😃

Like I say, it could be a set-up problem but the issue has persisted through through numerous string changes and I've been really careful not to get the string twisted when fitting. Maybe I'll take it into a luthier to get it checked out.

I mainly wanted to know if this a common problem and it sounds like it isn't so either I been unlucky with the basses I've bought/tried or I'm hearing something that others don't for whatever reason. Not suggesting i'm 'special' but it's odd that all the basses I've tried (OK. it's only 4) had the same problem.

I'm a Fender man and I've made a few too.

I had the same problem ie' the E sounding lame and I have tried all the tricks and tips but I found a partial cure, I changed the P pickup to a Dimarzio DP 127 on KiOgon's recommendation, much more powerful and the bottom E is much more 'tuneful' and accurate.

• Like 1

yeah I did wonder about the pickup but I don't think it can be entirely to blame because the string sounds odd even when played un-amped.

However, one thing I've just realied that I omitted from my original post and may be significant is that I play with a pick. I think this may be partly responsible for the issue as it tends to bring out the trebly overtones more than fingers. I can still hear the effect with fingers but it's not as obvious.

I have an issue with basses that appear to have a dead note on the G string, 7th fret. I'd put it down to my technique.

I guess one option is to take the bass to someone else for them to play and see if they too find the same issue.

How close are your pickups from the strings ? If they are too close, it could be the issue as they will interfere with the vibration of the string simply because of the magnet(s) power.

I've got some early Q-Tuner pickups that have very powerful magnets, so I had to lower them a lot (twice my usual reference).

45 minutes ago, Grangur said:

I have an issue with basses that appear to have a dead note on the G string, 7th fret. I'd put it down to my technique.

Yep, got that too. Like the E string problem, lot's of little tweaks have helped. One of the most noticeable improvements came from a tip I read elsewhere that suggested loosening the neck screws a little whilst the neck is under string tension such that it gets pulled into the neck pocket (then tighten them back up obviously). I did seem to notice an improvment after trying that, didn't help much with the E string though

My blues club only plays pieces in A.  Members have to get special dispensation and apply in advance to play in any other key.

This is extraordinarily unhelpful for beginners saxists like me, for whom concert A requires me playing in F#. 

Edited by lownote12

Try this for setting your pickup(s) height, as I wrote in an EMG topic 

Put some new foam under the pickups and you can raise passive pickups as close as 2,5 mm under the strings, but do this when fretting the string at the last fret on E and G strings for both pickups checking each side after moving the other end. For EMG pickups, just do the same and you can even get (close) to 1 mm using the same procedure. Use an Allen wrench to take measures. B|

• Thanks 1

some basses just seem to be duff, so trade it in. I've had various with 'dead spots'-  two 'P' basses have been the worst so I don't know if this design is particularly susceptible. What it has taught me is not to try a bass without properly trying it out. Most other problems are fixable, but deadspots aren't. You can'yt play a bass with deadspots musically - it will drive you mad in time.

I've gone down the graphite neck route and don't wake at night any more suffering from 'deadspot angst'. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2018 at 22:19, Grangur said:

I guess one option is to take the bass to someone else for them to play and see if they too find the same issue.

I have exactly this but on only one bass so pretty sure it’s not technique. I have tried all sorts but to no avail so far. It’s a pain as it’s a great bass in every other way but it’s just dead in that one spot to the point that if I play in rehearsal with it, it sounds like I have completely missed the note.

• Like 1

I've had similar issues in the past, and it has always been down to a set-up issue - and changing brand of strings has helped too
Like Meddle, I found a couple of times that Rotosound (swing) strings sounded quite dead. Although more often than not, it seemed to be the G, rather than the E

1 hour ago, Meddle said:

The lack of consistency, balance and longevity in Rotosound strings belongs in a different era. I've only ever been let down by them. 😅

Way back when I first played (long before online ordering etc!) the only bass strings I ever saw regularly in music shops, were Rotosound
Sometimes a shop would have 2 different gauges, or 2 different varieties of Rotosound bass string. Oddly enough, I don't think I ever noticed a lack of consistency back then
Perhaps I wasn't so critical back then? Perhaps my ears were not trained enough to notice dead spots, despite being younger? Or was it that I used to get my bass set up regularly, rather than doing it myself?

But overall, I think there are more brands / makes of string available now, and more readily available - which is a good thing. Also, I can now afford to try a few different string types now & again
It's a shame that Rotosound don't seem to be as good as my memory tells me they once were, as every bassist I knew seemed to use them
Mind you, back in the day, I used to break strings more often - perhaps they weren't so good back then? Or was it just my playing? ;)