Why become a member? ×

J bass with precision neck

Happy Jack

I've had a few Precisions with Jazz necks (and loved them, especially my Duck Dunn) and I've seen plenty more over the years.

Has anyone ever - even once - come across a Jazz fitted with a Precision neck?

In truth I can't imagine why anyone would do such a thing, but that may just be a failure of my imagination!

Don’t ask me the exact dimensions all around, but you’ll see in the white bass that it’s a bit chunkier

The MarloweDK red bass has a nut width of 37mm, ‘Jon Snow’ is more like 40mm, 39 at a push.

The whole profile is bigger.

It actually suits the Haüssel pick ups which are mid beefy and about as close as a jazz neck could sound to a split coil P solo’d.

I didn’t order it, just found this good looking custome bass lurking and had to have it.

Jon is also a bit heavier than DK

730FFC5B-EE7C-4005-B15E-41D515CA5B40.thumb.jpeg.61b290b392b5bb00fc7745f3e4c0522e.jpeg

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I've had a few Precisions with Jazz necks (and loved them, especially my Duck Dunn) and I've seen plenty more over the years.

In truth I can't imagine why anyone would do such a thing, but that may just be a failure of my imagination!

I've got one. It's a fretless that I never played (because it's fretless!) so I stuck a spare Mighty Mite P neck that I had lying around on it. Plays OK but I've never really used it since swapping the necks as I just prefer Precisions.

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I`ve not done it - yet. But for me I find my fingers falling over each other on a Jazz neck,I almost find them too easy to play, so prefer the chunkiness of a Precision. The real answer is to become a better player and be equally competent on both but as I prefer a Precision neck at some point I`ll get round to doing this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I`ve not done it - yet. But for me I find my fingers falling over each other on a Jazz neck,I almost find them too easy to play, so prefer the chunkiness of a Precision. The real answer is to become a better player and be equally competent on both but as I prefer a Precision neck at some point I`ll get round to doing this.

This. I like Jazz basses and the sound they make, but don't get on with the piddling pencil-necks. So a Jazz with a P neck would make perfect sense. In fact, as soon as I get some more bass tokens, my bitsa Jazz will be sporting a lovely Northwest Guitars P Neck. So there. :P

Northwest tell me that their P neck is only an ounce or two heavier than their J neck and the heel width isn't an issue, so...

PS: It's still going to be sporting a Fender J decal... you know, just for geometry, balance... and any other crap I can make up.

Edited by discreet

I am not a fan of Jazz profile necks, but love the body and pickups. 

I have an Allen Eden Jazz which has a P neck, and will be making another bitsa soon with a P neck as well - all black hardware and a black guard on a natural wood body.

I had a Mighty Mite Jazz Bass once. It had a solid koa body and a maple P-bass neck. It felt very... convincing. I sold it many years ago to a friend who equipped it with a 70's Jazz neck, but the beauty got stolen a few years ago... 😥