Why become a member? ×

New tiny amp options

ianrendall

Hi all. 

I’ve finally reached the stage where I can now support a main amp (TE AH600) and a spare. 

I currently have an Ibanez Promethean P500 head that I want to replace with something really small. Gig bag front pocket small. 

I’m looking at the GK MB200, Trace Elf or TC BH250 heads. Pure grunt isn’t an issue as I always have the option to go through the PA if needs be.

I fancy the GK because I’ve heard so many positive things about it. The Trace because it’s so damn cute, and the TC because of the Toneprint functionality. 

Well I`ve had a TC BH250, and use one pretty regularly as a provided amp. Connected to an efficient cab they are pretty decent little amps. I know there`s this thing with TC about over-rating their power but if it`s loud enough it`s loud enough. Certainly the one I used last night connected to a 610 of some sorts was plenty for on-stage, and the one I had I used to connect to a Barefaced Super 12 and it was enough on its own for a pub-sized venue.

• Thanks 1

The GK MB200 is a belter, although I haven't put one up against any of it's competitors directly. The Elf does seem well liked on here, although when I tried one recently I was more impressed with it's small dimensions/weight than the sound. Was in a shop environment though, so may come a bit more alive in a gig situation. Also tried the Peavey Mini-max which sounded good, and again very small and lightweight.

Is this only a backup head? How often will it be used? Is 200 watts going to be enough? That's about 100 watts into an 8 ohm cab.

A small amp is one thing but a good small amp might be a different thing. I'd have a listen to GK heads and take it from there. I would be looking at the MB500 as a minimum.

Edited by chris_b

I've been using the Eich stuff the last 3 weeks ends up being smaller and more gig bag pocket friendly than the TC BH250 due to its lack of feet. It's been a revelation to be able to throw that much power and quality of amp into the front pocket of a gig bag with such ease, no need to jiggle it about, or fight with the zip. It's the first class D with which I don't feel I'm making a compromise. Great stuff, and your choice of power output too, they're all the same size...

4 hours ago, TJ Spicer said:

I've been using the Eich stuff the last 3 weeks ends up being smaller and more gig bag pocket friendly than the TC BH250 due to its lack of feet. It's been a revelation to be able to throw that much power and quality of amp into the front pocket of a gig bag with such ease, no need to jiggle it about, or fight with the zip. It's the first class D with which I don't feel I'm making a compromise. Great stuff, and your choice of power output too, they're all the same size...

Took the words right out of my mouth. I owned a Tecamp Puma 900 for a while (the older sibling to the Eich T900) and I don’t know how you could get a more friendly form factor, especially at that kind of wattage. Legitimately gig-bag-pocketable and weighs next to nothing to boot. You can get 300/500/900 watt variants and, as @TJ Spicer says, they’re all exactly the same size.

• Thanks 1