Why become a member? ×

51 Precision Semi Partscaster - The Bass Fender Forgot to Make

Bridgehouse

1 minute ago, Marc S said:

This bass is looking absolutely amazing! Great job Bridgehouse :)
I'll be interested to see what the final weight is, and even more interested to hear it being played (unplugged too - wondering how loud it will be)

I’ll  certainly weigh it - and I can do some sound samples too. I’d like to get it in a band context as well though, so maybe a live recording as the next album will be a little way off as we’ve just finished one. 

• Like 1

Then came the difficult “measure, measure, measure, fit bridge, measure again, put masking tape everywhere, mark some hole, drill really tentatively, fit bridge, observe...” phase which results in a bridge being fitted and then some strings applied..

khXsLbf.jpg

6RL322h.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Nice! How does it balance?

Also, could that finish be applied to a neck? I’d love one with a matching neck.

Don’t know about balance yet - I’ll wait till the pickup is on and the cavity plate/jack socket as it all adds up (!) 

The finish could be applied to the neck, yes.. main issue will be the tint will be slightly different as the maple and ash are slightly different base colours. It will be close tho...

• Like 1

Just waiting on a few parts before I can finish this:

- Electrosocket for the jack - I bought metric and needed imperial thread (doh!) new one on it's way

- Pickup - shipped but coming from spain

- String tree - shipped and on it's way

Once they are here I'll finish it off and let you know what I think :)

8 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

I’m feeling inspired- but going to do a similar finish on a bass cab (for now...)

Danish Oil is great to work with - easy to apply, can be slurry wet sanded, waxed and dries quickly. 

I've used a lot of Tru Oil in the past and I'd say for bodies, if you don't want shiny, then Danish Oil is more satisfying.

13 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Danish Oil is great to work with - easy to apply, can be slurry wet sanded, waxed and dries quickly. 

I've used a lot of Tru Oil in the past and I'd say for bodies, if you don't want shiny, then Danish Oil is more satisfying.

What do you reckon to Teak Oil?  I have a tin of Teak Oil and a tin of Danish Oil and there was little to choose between them when I applied them, one to a neck and the other to a body.  Both have a sheen without the gloss.

3 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

What do you reckon to Teak Oil?  I have a tin of Teak Oil and a tin of Danish Oil and there was little to choose between them when I applied them, one to a neck and the other to a body.  Both have a sheen without the gloss.

I've not used Teak Oil on a guitar body so I don't know. I would imagine they are similar - but I've noticed you can get Danish Oil in a wider range of shades, which may or may not appeal, and I don't know how teak oil would respond to wet sanding (to give that really nice soft smooth finish) but I know Danish Oil responds really well to it. Same for waxing.

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

I've not used Teak Oil on a guitar body so I don't know. I would imagine they are similar - but I've noticed you can get Danish Oil in a wider range of shades, which may or may not appeal, and I don't know how teak oil would respond to wet sanding (to give that really nice soft smooth finish) but I know Danish Oil responds really well to it. Same for waxing.

I read up on a few of the different oils at the time and I seem to remember that it doesn't come from nor is it exclusively for use on Teak.  ...but then I didn't really believe that you'd get Danish Oil by applying infeasibly great pressure to a Dane either.

• Haha 2

Interesting development. 

I've posted a thread about it in "Basses" as well as it might be of interest to the general community. 

Oil City Pickups are doing a one-off 51 P single coil style pickup (which he's agreed to sell me ;) ) using ceramic bar magnets, and the exact dimensions required to be the same architecture as a certain other bass which uses two single coils (no, not Jazz - the other one which rhymes with fakenpicker) 

It's got big slug poles in it, and it should produce quite a bit of that snarly midrange grunt which many like in "that tone". 

I'm going to fit it to this one and put the split coil into my solid body 51P. 

ZWpL9Xo.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Interesting development. 

I've posted a thread about it in "Basses" as well as it might be of interest to the general community. 

Oil City Pickups are doing a one-off 51 P single coil style pickup (which he's agreed to sell me ;) ) using ceramic bar magnets, and the exact dimensions required to be the same architecture as a certain other bass which uses two single coils (no, not Jazz - the other one which rhymes with fakenpicker) 

It's got big slug poles in it, and it should produce quite a bit of that snarly midrange grunt which many like in "that tone". 

I'm going to fit it to this one and put the split coil into my solid body 51P. 

ZWpL9Xo.jpg

I don't care how it sounds it looks 'king amazing!  Just put one on me and I'll mime.

15 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I don't care how it sounds it looks 'king amazing!  Just put one on me and I'll mime.

I was rather thrilled when he checked the measurements on CAD and said it could be done.. it will give a completely different character to a 51P pickup, but I think that's fine..

This build is going to be awesome. Not only do we get a combination of features that the big F never put together, but also a pickup that’ll make it even more different. Colour me oh so intrigued.

Edited by ezbass

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

This build is going to be awesome. Not only do we get a combination of features that the big F never put together, but also a pickup that’ll make it even more different. Colour me oh so intrigued.

It looks good too....!

p9JbjgP.jpg