Why become a member? ×

51 Precision Semi Partscaster - The Bass Fender Forgot to Make

Bridgehouse

11 minutes ago, greenolive said:

The pickup in mine bridgehouse is a Nordstrand split coil

That oil city pickup looks great👌

This build is coming on leaps & bounds , I love the ‘51 p look with a dark fretboard

I’ve heard good things about those Nordstrands.. maybe even better than the Lindy Fralin - which are really highly regarded!

Looking forward to trying the oil city - should be interesting!

19 minutes ago, mickhardup said:

luvly guitar, were did you get the black jack socket from ? I could not find one on ebay or perhaps I didn't look very well 

Was indeed eBay! It’s an electrosocket type as opposed to a traditional tele style cup - I don’t like the rubbish fitting method on the tele cups. 

The one I got was available in chrome, black or gold..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

Pickup has arrived.. hopefully I will get some time over the weekend to fit it!

9T00bvr.jpg

xmiq2wv.jpg

uMO4ZRU.jpg

I need to sort out some mounting hardware - I’m low on foam/rubber slugs - but that won’t be difficult!

Should have said about foam ... I have loads here ... If you are short I'll post you some.

14 minutes ago, The Guitar Weasel said:

Should have said about foam ... I have loads here ... If you are short I'll post you some.

I must have some somewhere ;) and some screws - I’ve not looked yet but something will pop up in one of the many drawers

Noted @The Guitar Weasel

Found some screws and some foam with a couple of springs. Fitted just perfectly. 

Popped on the back cover and so that leaves just the string tree (still in the post!) to fit.

I will set it up and set Pickup height later on this evening and give an initial report. I have a plan for sound samples but you might have to be a touch more patient with this..

Doesn’t look too shabby huh?

oWPLjCj.jpg

S9IVUeB.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Guitar Weasel said:

looks bloody gorgeous! The all black hardware, and slightly brutal looking pickup, contrasts brilliantly with the wood grain and antique look. Me like ... lots!

Me too mate! Lovely pickup - can’t wait to give it a try later on. It’s an East harness as well so high quality tone and volume pots.

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

That looks the business!  What Bass Bash will this be available to gawp at?

Dunno - I’m in Lincs so will need to have a look. I’m more than happy to arrange with anyone who would want to try it for a meet up tho..

I’ve tried it. 

Well now. It sounds really rather different to my 51P partscaster. Far more open, lots more snarl and much more in the mids. It’s not as spaced as a Precision - much less of that piano like quality and far more growl in the mids. 

Then there’s the hollow nature - it’s got some the air and hollow thump you get from a hollow body but still has plenty of sustain (centre block no doubt).

Compared to my precisions it doesn’t sound like a Precision. But it’s not 100% Ric - it’s like a bag of Ric flavoured crisps - sort of Pricisionbacker if you like. 

However, it sits so well in the mix when I play along to stuff - far more presence and up front sound due to those highlighted mids. Interesting.

Have tried flats and roundwounds - rounds seem to accentuate the Ric side more, flats the P side. 

I have an idea for sound samples so bear with me..
  • Like 2

Excuse the high-jack but I've just pulled the trigger on one of these pickups from Oil City  for my Japanese Blue Flower 68 P. I find myself not using the Bass as the stock pick-up is a bit 'thuddy  ' ( yes, I know  flats don't help)! Sounds as if it might be just what I need, from your description!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Just now, yorks5stringer said:

Excuse the highjack but I've just pulled the trigger on one of these pickups from Oil City  for my Japanese Blue Flower 68 P. I find myself not using the Bass as the stock pick-up is a bit 'thuddy  ' ( yes, I know  flats don't help)! Sounds as if it might be just what i need from your description!

Put some rounds on and dabble with your EQ and you can have as much clank and scrape as you like. It’s pretty hot but I like it - still planning some sound samples.

• Like 1

Catching up on some much neglected threads!  I've been following this on one of the other forums and @Bridgehouse is aware of how impressed I am with his build.  Indeed, he is now a fully-fledged member of the 'Why Do Great Sounding Basses Have To Be So Heavy?  Answer - They Don't' club xD

And this one does look great.  And it's super light.  And it sounds fantastic!