Why become a member? ×

Gear4music strings

markdavid

2 hours ago, markdavid said:

Anyone tried these ? https://www.gear4music.com/Books-DVD-and-Sheet-Music/Bass-Guitar-String-Set-4-by-Gear4music/2UM I figured for a fiver they have to be worth trying

Me too.  I buy basses to do up, and I bought a couple of sets for putting on any bass with no strings that I want to move on.   I sold a bass with these and the new owner was over the moon. He plays punk and he reckoned they sound every bit as good as his Rotosounds.

In a practical sense: their length is designed for a 4-in-line headstock. They're shorter than many other strings, and they're pretty light-weight. But what do you expect for £4.99?

15 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Me too.  I buy basses to do up, and I bought a couple of sets for putting on any bass with no strings that I want to move on.   I sold a bass with these and the new owner was over the moon. He plays punk and he reckoned they sound every bit as good as his Rotosounds.

In a practical sense: their length is designed for a 4-in-line headstock. They're shorter than many other strings, and they're pretty light-weight. But what do you expect for £4.99?

I think for the price as long as they don't have huge tension (which seems very unlikely in a 95-40 gauge) and they dont break they should be worth the money

Also the blue silk looks really nice 

Edited by markdavid

1 minute ago, markdavid said:

I think for the price as long as they don't have huge tension (which seems very unlikely in a 95-40 gauge) and they dont break they should be worth the money

Also the blue silk looks really nice 

No, they're not particularly high tension.

On 13/07/2018 at 15:55, Grangur said:

That were me if I recall correctly, Rich, and yes, very decent strings indeed.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I have paid from £5 to £50 for strings and while the 50 quid ones are more articulate and have better tone, for most of my uses the cheapies are more than adequate. One point though, expensive instruments tolerate cheap strings and cheap instruments usually need more expensive strings.