Why become a member? ×

We're all pretty familiar with cheapo Fender copies turning up with wrinkly, badly positioned and frequently incorrect Fender logos slapped on the headstock - this is a new one on me: a low/midrange 70s MIJ Jazz (almost certainly originally a Columbus) that's had its logo blatantly sanded off and a Greco decal slapped over the top. I didn't even know fake Greco logos existed!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Made-In-japan-70s-Jazz-Greco-Electric-bass-needs-attention-Project-Relic-MIJ/323345538867

Don't be fooled - this is entirely different to any Greco Jazz copy, if you know these instruments, not a product of either of the factories (Fujigen & Matsumoku) who built Grecos in the 70s. This bass is identical to the Columbus J copies that still turn up regularly and that many of us will have had experience of - OK but not great - and not the quality, or value of genuine Greco equivalents.

Will fire the seller a message to point out what it's not - but I daresay they're quite aware already.

11 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I see you know not of what you speak. 9_9

I do but I did not put it very well what I mean is I can see why people would copy Fenders and Ricks ETC but dont understand why they would copy a low end bass with a stinky poo copy I wasnt referring to the Greco as the stinky poo bass as I had a Greco P and it was a good bass that make sense?

I messaged him too and told him to be careful about selling fakes, and he's just told me he's relisted it. I also said it may or not be a Columbus, but dont quote me since we dont really know - so what does he do ?

Edited by fleabag
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

I do but I did not put it very well what I mean is I can see why people would copy Fenders and Ricks ETC but dont understand why they would copy a low end bass with a stinky poo copy I wasnt referring to the Greco as the stinky poo bass as I had a Greco P and it was a good bass that make sense?

Because its easier to sell a chinese £60 P or J for £200 by claiming its a Greco than trying to pass one off as a £1k fender.

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

I messaged him too and told him to be careful about selling fakes, and he's just told me he's relisted it. I also said it may or not be a Columbus, but dont quote me since we dont really know - so what does he do ?

I sent him a link to pics of an identical Columbus - he also messaged me back saying he'll re-list it.

7 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

I do but I did not put it very well what I mean is I can see why people would copy Fenders and Ricks ETC but dont understand why they would copy a low end bass with a stinky poo copy

Because Grecos were anything but low - end. From the mid 70s onward they were replica-standard, and the instruments that convinced Fender to set up Fender Japan - in partnership with Greco's brand owner. It's widely held that the last-run Greco Fender copies from 1982 were sold badged as Fender & Squier JVs - which are nudging at 4 figures these days. A good late 70s/80s Greco could easily be a £400 - £500 bass these days.

• Like 1

It was actually this thread which motivated me to post this:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/327234-nbd-1976-greco-precision-bass/

@umcoo picked up a '76 Greco P from Japan for about £200 inc import duties etc - a minor project but a ridiculous bargain. The thread turned into a love-in for quality MIJ P copies.

I wouldn't swap my 1980-ish Daion P, or my CSL Jazz for anything with a "proper" badge on the headstock.

• Like 1